• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeez - central heating nightmare!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeez - central heating nightmare!

Last week boiler packed up. Maint contract with SSE - so old can't get parts for a few days. Great. That was last Wednesday, parts coming this wednesday.

No worries. Gas fire, and, although pricey, immersion heater to heat water. Until last night when immersion decided to overheat, knacker tank and potentially 240 litres of water pissed through ceiling. Luckily, home emergency fella managed to drain most of it.

BUT thats the wooden floor screwed in living room :-(

Since its 18 years old methinks new boiler is needed. Combi probably not up to it even though nice to get rid of tank......

I guess combis no good for the mansions you lot live in?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Last week boiler packed up. Maint contract with SSE - so old can't get parts for a few days. Great. That was last Wednesday, parts coming this wednesday.

No worries. Gas fire, and, although pricey, immersion heater to heat water. Until last night when immersion decided to overheat, knacker tank and potentially 240 litres of water pissed through ceiling. Luckily, home emergency fella managed to drain most of it.

BUT thats the wooden floor screwed in living room :-(

Since its 18 years old methinks new boiler is needed. Combi probably not up to it even though nice to get rid of tank......

I guess combis no good for the mansions you lot live in?
    House insurance should cover escape of water. Get some nice new flooring courtesy of them. Can probably redecorate the whole room if there's any damage to walls and/or ceiling.

Comment

Get things replaced before they become expensive.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Get a new system boiler, Worcester Bosch or Grant, and megaflow for the hot water, sized to feed your substantial mansion

Comment

Last week boiler packed up.
          Finally came to her senses did she?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

BUT thats the laminate floor screwed in living room :-(?
            Laminate yes. Decent wood floor, not necessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
              House insurance should cover escape of water. Get some nice new flooring courtesy of them. Can probably redecorate the whole room if there's any damage to walls and/or ceiling.
              It does but there was **** all wrong with it. Hassle again getting someone in.....

Walls maybe in hallway... Ceilings ****ed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Laminate yes. Decent wood floor, not necessarily.
                Twas not cheap stuff but alas it is showing signs of lifting...

Comment

Twas not cheap stuff but alas it is showing signs of lifting...
                  Make sure it's all lifting before it gets assessed so they don't opt to try repair it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Get things replaced before they become expensive.
                    Not so much expensive - all covered by SWALEC but mega hassle....

And they will at some point not cover it because its so old...

Comment

Working...
                    X