• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official Planetary DOOM 2 thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Planetary DOOM 2 thread

Cern plans even larger hadron collider for physics search

Cern has published its ideas for a £20bn successor to the Large Hadron Collider, given the working name of Future Circular Collider (FCC).

The Geneva based particle physics research centre is proposing an accelerator that is almost four times longer and ten times more powerful.

The aim is to have the FCC hunting for new sub-atomic particles by 2050.

Critics say that the money could be better spent on other research areas such as combating climate change.

But Cern's Director-General, Prof Fabiola Gianotti described the proposal as "a remarkable accomplishment".

"It shows the tremendous potential of the FCC to improve our knowledge of fundamental physics and to advance many technologies with a broad impact on society," she said.

Source: Cern plans even larger hadron collider for physics search - BBC News

Effing bozos will get admin trapped in there with only a crowbar

has a cost vs benefit analysis been done on the LHC yet?

Comment

Originally posted by loadfeature
      "The world’s largest and most powerful particle accelerator has been brought to its knees by a beech marten, a member of the weasel family, that chewed through wiring connected to a 66,000-volt transformer."

Priceless Talking about planetary Doom I'm more interested in quantum computing, but I bet CERNs research will be connected to it. As I've read IMB sold it's first commercial quantum computing, but I haven't truly made out what are they exactly used for. Prolly for apocalyptic reasons.
      One suspects that weasel didn't feel like the victor when it got 66,000 volts through it's teeth.

Comment

Why not just build one around the equator and be done with it?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X