• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the best a man can be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's advertising. Gillette have lost market share to online rivals, beards are trendy with hipster youth, and dumb**** macho attitudes are going to the grave with the old men who espouse them. I see something that makes commercial sense, not an attack on the social order.

But of course the men's rights types are reduced to hysterics and handwringing by the slightest suggestion that they might be a bunch of ******* whose time has passed. Snowflakes

Comment

I don't understand why people think this advert is threatening masculinity. It's not suggesting that men should not be men. The opposite in fact - it is saying a man should be a man, but it clearly has a definition of what a man should be - they are suggesting a true man should take a stand against injustice and treat women with respect.

Quite an old fashioned attitude if you think about it. There used to be a word for it - 'Gentleman'

Having said that it is pretty nauseating and a cynical appropriation of social justice issues to sell crappy razors.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Excellent Gammon baiting video....
        Exactamundo. The gammonflakes are going mental.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          It's advertising. Gillette have lost market share to online rivals, beards are trendy with hipster youth, and dumb**** macho attitudes are going to the grave with the old men who espouse them. I see something that makes commercial sense, not an attack on the social order.

But of course the men's rights types are reduced to hysterics and handwringing by the slightest suggestion that they might be a bunch of ******* whose time has passed. Snowflakes
          I expect Tommy Robinson will be supportive of Gillette, given his strong opposition to sexual abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
            I don't understand why people think this advert is threatening masculinity. It's not suggesting that men should not be men. The opposite in fact - it is saying a man should be a man, but it clearly has a definition of what a man should be - they are suggesting a true man should take a stand against injustice and treat women with respect.

Quite an old fashioned attitude if you think about it. There used to be a word for it - 'Gentleman'

Having said that it is pretty nauseating and a cynical appropriation of social justice issues to sell crappy razors.
            I think this is what people are unhappy about. It's not Gillette's nor Silicon Valley nor the American media's place to tell anyone how they should live their lives and what standards they should keep.

Seems to be backfiring pretty spectacularly and pushing people in the other direction. last thing I need is more people using the barbell rack in the gym - FFS Gillette!
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Of course, it's aimed at American males, who probably do need things like how to behave decently spelling out.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

‘Oops, did our advert piss off dickheads?’ asks razor blade company

‘Oops, did our advert piss off dickheads?’ asks razor blade company
                16th January 2019

A RAZOR blade company has expressed surprise that its latest advert has pissed off a lot of dickheads.

In a stunning development, the company’s latest campaign – which calls on the #MeToo movement to tell men to be ‘the best they can be’ by not being dreadful – resulted in a totally unexpected backlash from spluttering idiots.

A company spokesman said: “We had no idea that this advert would be so effective, especially after a recent advert for vegan sausage rolls failed so spectacularly to provoke angry middle-aged men.

“Who could have predicted this reaction and the avalanche of free publicity we received from it? Certainly not our marketing department.”

Women, meanwhile, enjoyed the brief interruption in the non-stop flow of adverts telling them they are too fat, shiny, frizzy, spotty, frumpy, slutty, boring, loud, overworked or lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Excellent Gammon baiting video....
                  I wouldn't be so triumphant if I were you. Social Justice politics has just been commoditised to sell razors and that usually is the death knell for a movement. c.f. the hippy movement co-opted to sell Coke in the '70s.

It's over dude.
                  Last edited by TwoWolves; 17 January 2019, 00:17.

Comment

This is part of something bigger and co ordinated

APA issues first-ever guidelines for practice with men and boys

This is being taught in unis and schools as well as being saturated in the media.
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                      This is part of something bigger and co ordinated

APA issues first-ever guidelines for practice with men and boys

This is being taught in unis and schools as well as being saturated in the media.
                      But something is amiss for men as well. Men commit 90 percent of homicides in the United States and represent 77 percent of homicide victims. They’re the demographic group most at risk of being victimized by violent crime. They are 3.5 times more likely than women to die by suicide, and their life expectancy is 4.9 years shorter than women’s. Boys are far more likely to be diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder than girls, and they face harsher punishments in school—especially boys of color.

So, in the US - a racially divided country of very strange people - the APA is issuing guidelines on dealing with men, because their needs are not being catered for by the profession.

I thought that might appeal to "men's rights" kind of people. Seems sensible enough to me.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X