the best a man can be the best a man can be - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 66

My post count is Majestic

NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

It's advertising. Gillette have lost market share to online rivals, beards are trendy with hipster youth, and dumb**** macho attitudes are going to the grave with the old men who espouse them. I see something that makes commercial sense, not an attack on the social order.

But of course the men's rights types are reduced to hysterics and handwringing by the slightest suggestion that they might be a bunch of ******* whose time has passed. Snowflakes

More time posting than coding

pauldee is good enough for Jehovah!

I don't understand why people think this advert is threatening masculinity. It's not suggesting that men should not be men. The opposite in fact - it is saying a man should be a man, but it clearly has a definition of what a man should be - they are suggesting a true man should take a stand against injustice and treat women with respect.

Quite an old fashioned attitude if you think about it. There used to be a word for it - 'Gentleman'

Having said that it is pretty nauseating and a cynical appropriation of social justice issues to sell crappy razors.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Excellent Gammon baiting video....
    Exactamundo. The gammonflakes are going mental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's advertising. Gillette have lost market share to online rivals, beards are trendy with hipster youth, and dumb**** macho attitudes are going to the grave with the old men who espouse them. I see something that makes commercial sense, not an attack on the social order.

But of course the men's rights types are reduced to hysterics and handwringing by the slightest suggestion that they might be a bunch of ******* whose time has passed. Snowflakes
    I expect Tommy Robinson will be supportive of Gillette, given his strong opposition to sexual abuse.
    25 June 2018

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by pauldee View Post
    I don't understand why people think this advert is threatening masculinity. It's not suggesting that men should not be men. The opposite in fact - it is saying a man should be a man, but it clearly has a definition of what a man should be - they are suggesting a true man should take a stand against injustice and treat women with respect.

Quite an old fashioned attitude if you think about it. There used to be a word for it - 'Gentleman'

Having said that it is pretty nauseating and a cynical appropriation of social justice issues to sell crappy razors.
    I think this is what people are unhappy about. It's not Gillette's nor Silicon Valley nor the American media's place to tell anyone how they should live their lives and what standards they should keep.

Seems to be backfiring pretty spectacularly and pushing people in the other direction. last thing I need is more people using the barbell rack in the gym - FFS Gillette!
    Because feelings...

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Of course, it's aimed at American males, who probably do need things like how to behave decently spelling out.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

I live on CUK

‘Oops, did our advert piss off dickheads?’ asks razor blade company

‘Oops, did our advert piss off dickheads?’ asks razor blade company
    16th January 2019

A RAZOR blade company has expressed surprise that its latest advert has pissed off a lot of dickheads.

In a stunning development, the company’s latest campaign – which calls on the #MeToo movement to tell men to be ‘the best they can be’ by not being dreadful – resulted in a totally unexpected backlash from spluttering idiots.

A company spokesman said: “We had no idea that this advert would be so effective, especially after a recent advert for vegan sausage rolls failed so spectacularly to provoke angry middle-aged men.

“Who could have predicted this reaction and the avalanche of free publicity we received from it? Certainly not our marketing department.”

Women, meanwhile, enjoyed the brief interruption in the non-stop flow of adverts telling them they are too fat, shiny, frizzy, spotty, frumpy, slutty, boring, loud, overworked or lazy.
    25 June 2018

Fingers like lightning

TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Excellent Gammon baiting video....
    I wouldn't be so triumphant if I were you. Social Justice politics has just been commoditised to sell razors and that usually is the death knell for a movement. c.f. the hippy movement co-opted to sell Coke in the '70s.

It's over dude.
    Last edited by TwoWolves; 17th January 2019 at 00:17.

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

This is part of something bigger and co ordinated

APA issues first-ever guidelines for practice with men and boys

This is being taught in unis and schools as well as being saturated in the media.
    Because feelings...

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post
    This is part of something bigger and co ordinated

APA issues first-ever guidelines for practice with men and boys

This is being taught in unis and schools as well as being saturated in the media.
    But something is amiss for men as well. Men commit 90 percent of homicides in the United States and represent 77 percent of homicide victims. They’re the demographic group most at risk of being victimized by violent crime. They are 3.5 times more likely than women to die by suicide, and their life expectancy is 4.9 years shorter than women’s. Boys are far more likely to be diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder than girls, and they face harsher punishments in school—especially boys of color.

So, in the US - a racially divided country of very strange people - the APA is issuing guidelines on dealing with men, because their needs are not being catered for by the profession.

I thought that might appeal to "men's rights" kind of people. Seems sensible enough to me.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath