• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forum Fixes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Fixes

OK, admin has just installed the fixes to the forum upgrade, so you'll hopefully see things back to what passes for normal around here

If you're still not seeing things like the smilie box in the right place when posting, or the forum links haven't reappeared at the top of the page, then vBulletin's "default style" setting is a lie and you'll have to select CUK Blue or CUK Stealth from the very top right of any page, after which it should be OK.

I'll go through The List one by one:

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    • Favicon
    Should have been OK for a while now.

• Top & bottom links to all forums
    Should be back.

• Editor pages smiley box alignment
    Should be fixed.

• Who's Online
    Should be working.

• A reply button on the thread when you are not logged in.. (used to just take you to the log on page) HT originalPM
    Not done, as it seems to have been a deliberate decision by vBulletin to change this and I tried to avoid mucking about with the templates too much. If there's real demand for this, post a reply and I'll see about it.

• When you rep someone their rep level disappears until you refresh the page and it comes back. HT northernladuk - this also happens when you edit a post, and certain other operations that update content in-place
    Long-standing bug, as in, it was always like this. It mildly irritates me too, so I'll carry on having a look in case it can be fixed; I suspect an oversight by the developers of the "thanks & likes" plugin.

• Link to CP settings? It used to be between "My Profile" and "Privacy Policy" in the top menu bar. HT WTFH
    Should be back. Very odd that it went in the first place

• Can you change the code on the Mod button (menu at the bottom of the screen) to open in a new tab/window? HT WTFH
    If it had been easy to do I would have, but it involves a fair bit of mucking around with vBulletin's JavaScript which might introduce problems down the line. Reply if you Really Really Need It and I'll look deeper…

• Oh, the expanded menu with subforums displayed has gone HT NLUK - I assume you mean the "Quick Navigation" menu at the bottom of the forum list? Anyway, that's the one I'm fixing…
    Should be back.

• Vimeo embeds not appearing
    Should be OK now.

• Almost everything to do with Social Groups is broken in some manner.
    Should be OK. You'd be surprised how extensive and complex this stuff is for a feature that almost nobody uses

EDITED to add: New Posts should now be working. Sorry, BR14, haven’t got the option to exclude the B****t forum, though I may see if it can be added anyway just for a laugh if admin lets me. If it does happen, it should be done before your current ban ends

Any problems, post a reply below and I'll see what I can do
    Last edited by NickFitz; 17 January 2019, 15:49.

Oh, and not on the list but fixed anyway: the "CUK News" section in the sidebar should now be, and remain, up-to-date

Comment

BTW, the forum has switched from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 character encoding which has left some weird characters in the database for things like smart quotes (“”) and £. I believe admin is hatching a plan to sort these out, but it at least means you’ll now be able to copy and paste from external sources without things like Å appearing for no reason, so it’ll be worth it in the long run

Comment

BTW, the forum has switched from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 character encoding which has left some weird characters in the database for things like smart quotes (“”) and £. I believe admin is hatching a plan to sort these out, but it at least means you’ll now be able to copy and paste from external sources without things like Å appearing for no reason, so it’ll be worth it in the long run
        What about the fix that prevents NAT from logging in, that doesn't appear to be working!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Nothing we're not used to around here old boy. Thanks for the fixes - now get Admin invoiced

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            What about the fix that prevents NAT from logging in, that doesn't appear to be working!
            It goes live March 30. The day after internet link to Europe is cut. So we will never know if it works or not.

Comment

New List
              1. The black arrow indicating a dropdown menu in the navbar has vanished. ✔︎

2. User’s activity page: avatars over a certain width go under the text. (Turns out they hardcoded a margin width which is NOT the same as the maximum avatar width. Go figure ) ✔︎

3. Thread pagination top border is obscured on threadlist: (Hmm, there was a stray "border-top-width: 0;" declaration in there. No idea where that came from. Might have been something weird in IE6 back in 2010… anyway, gone now.) ✔︎

4. Text colour in [highlight] tag needs changing. ✔︎

5. Current page isn’t highlighted in pagination. God knows where that went, I never even looked at that bit of the stylesheets ✔︎

6. No need to embolden the login fields in the navbar. (All input fields, it turns out…) ✔︎

7. No need for above_threadlist on forum list pages unless there’s something to go in it. (And check for below_threadlist likewise.) ✔︎

8. Spacing between like and thanks icons (in .postfoot .textcontrols) is ~5 pixels different to that between the other icons there; missing a margin-left, by the look of things. ✔︎

9. Possible issue with the post count popup on threadlist? (Turns out that's got a <vb:if condition="$show['member']"> around the linked version so, as Microsoft are so fond of saying in response to bug reports, "This behaviour is by design" )

10. Dropdown menu arrows borked on threadtools (and look like they're in the wrong place on forumtools too). (Turns out vBulletin explicitly places them on the left for thread list, but on the right for postlist. Consistency, anyone? On the right they go.) ✔︎

11. Numbered lists are off to the left a bit with double digits, as this thread revealed to me when I added the above item (Please don't make your numbered lists longer than 999 items, as it'll break again.) ✔︎

12. The editor interface allows one to add tables, but there’s very little styling for them and what there is breaks other stuff, especially if they’re quoted. Might as well at least get some basic stuff fixed for them (These seem to be OK to be quoted now, except they go a bit weird in the WYSIWYG editor if aligned left or right, as any following content floats alongside them. Can't really fix this without delving into the editor though, and they look OK when posted.) ✔︎

13. Windows Phone borkage. (Can't reproduce on the emulator, so not a lot I can do at this point.)
              Last edited by NickFitz; 5 February 2019, 21:00.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                Nothing we're not used to around here old boy. Thanks for the fixes - now get Admin invoiced
                How many nights with NLYUK do these fixes merit?

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                  I’m holding off on the invoice until the New List has been addressed

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    I'll have to debug and find out. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X