• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sponsored event - chance psychocandy might drop dead doing it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Anyone fancy sponsoring me?
    Universal Credit has your details and will be in touch.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Universal Credit has your details and will be in touch.
      Give the man a break. He's trying to raise cash to pay back his hardship loan for the broken boiler.

Comment

Isn't the Fan Dance part of the SAS selection process?

You might want to be careful with this.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          FTFY
          you've met me

I need the isotonic sports drink
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Give the man a break. He's trying to raise cash to pay back his hardship loan for the broken boiler.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              25KM ???????? In one day??
              Over hills?

On the flat that's a 6 hour walk without breaks. Over hills more like 8/9 hours. Add in lunch and a couple of breaks and you're more like 12 hours. There's only 15 hours of daylight.
              Open to everyone.
              Sounds like it's going to be a disaster.

And....... they want £60 from you to walk in free open spaces. **** that.

Wouldn't you be better just doing the same walk without hundreds of other doughnuts?
              I'm all up for hill walking for fun and adventure but this sounds like my idea of living hell...
              Nah. Google Naismiths law. If I remember its something like 2.5 mile per hour. (Plus you have to take into account vertical climb).

You actually have to maintain 3km an hour which is slow. 1st checkpoint 7.5km (flattish) - you have 2.5 hours max to get to otherwise you're going home.

They do a 50km version - now that will end in the dark!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I've been meaning to do the Fan Dance for a while - I gather this is similar?

Get off it! Proper training - 4 - 6 hours should be doable if you're carrying weight.
                25k with no large pack would be a sunday stroll if you're fit.

Fan Dance - yes bit harder. Theres web site for this too. You have to carry a pack for this too. (Less if you're over 50!)

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Isn't the Fan Dance part of the SAS selection process?

You might want to be careful with this.

qh
                  For this trekfest theres a private facebook group. Number of numpties on there who have decided to walk up Pen Y Fan on their own last weekend for "training" is unreal.

HUGE difference between Pen Y Fan in July and in January. In January, you really need to take full pack of gear, not go on your own, and be experienced. Its is nasty up there in bad weather. If anything happens, or weather turns, you will die up there.

Yet some guy posted a pic boasting that he'd worn his trainers up there. Moaned that it was a bit cold -10c last weekend.

Comment

Now theres an idea - £2800 it cost me!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Fan Dance - yes bit harder. Theres web site for this too. You have to carry a pack for this too. (Less if you're over 50!)
                      Yeah, I did a few Paras 10 races a few years ago, with weight - nowhere near that fit now, though and unfortunately some sciatic nerve issues lead me to believe it may not be a smart idea

I definitely intend to try and get to that point again, though - the problem is the sheer amount of time dedicated to training. Used to take me about 2 hours to cover 10 miles with boots and pack, then however long either side to get ready/shower etc and then finally I'd be screwed the rest of the day too! So wrote off an afternoon, basically.

Comment

Working...
                      X