• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I read in the Daily Mail...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Not, of course, that I wish to question the rationality of the main lefty-liberal argument, "It's in The DM" Probably the most rational you ever come up with.

OK Let's have an ongoing thread about the DM news website. Look at today's news. Look at all the stories. What is there that makes you think it has a significant right wing bias?

This will get no response, facts, huh! What are they?
    The truth is that the Guardian publishes an equal amount of bilge but it's the type of bilge that the people who struggle with the concept of other people not having the same opinion as themselves like.

Disclaimer: I dislike both periodicals but I'm not bothered about people reading them or believing the contents. It's their choice.
    Last edited by TwoWolves; 23 January 2019, 23:49.

Comment

The truth is that the Guardian publishes an equal amount bilge but it's the type of bilge that the people who struggle with the concept of other people not having the same opinion as themselves like.
      One brand of opinion is usually as biased as another. Like this one that the far right may exploit Brexit:

Far right may exploit Brexit tensions, says UK counter-terror chief | UK news | The Guardian

I don't actually disagree with that, people of any political persuasion will take advantage of whatever suits them, it's just that there is no balance. Far right extremism is the focus for them, never mind the facts that British far right extremists have killed two people since 2010, as compared to the 37 killed by Islamists.

Whenever the Guardian or Independent have articles on issues like Islamic terrorism, black gang crime, forced marriage, FGM etc it's somehow all our fault for not doing enough to address the problems. If British people are concerned about the impacts of immigration, they are Little Englanders or xenophobes. If migrants don't mix , its all down to our prejudices. It's almost an inverted racism.

It would be nice to have a press and government that viewed everyone the same, we all have the same flaws, we all cling to the cultures and practices we were brought up with, we all relate to and put our own people first. When you look at history, and major conflicts today, it isn't race that causes most problems, it's incompatible cultures, different views of what direction a society should take.

A bit more grasp of human nature, rather than unrealistic idealism, would help on a host of issues.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'm of the opinion that they're all as bad as each other. I had a view stated in the times that I simply didn't support. The interviewer said it several times and I possibly didn't disagree strongly enough, but it certainly didn't represent my views. I was pretty upset at the time.

Comment

It’s not about their political leanings (or at least not in this case). It’s about the fact that they repeatedly, and apparently as a matter of editorial policy, publish outright falsehoods.
          But is this actually true or lefty bias? Wikipedia said much the same thing in this article, but the DM response, which the Guardian do not refute, is that the IPSO upheld adjudications for just 2 out of half a million stories.

Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source | Technology | The Guardian

Maybe, if we can be a*d to go through them, we could check the truth here. I make it 6 breeches for 2018, half number of no breech rulings and not a huge number considering the number of articles they publish each day. Ones I have looked at seem rather trivial, saying somebody had recovered from an injury when they hadn't completely, a TV show being less popular than it actually was etc.

Rulings and resolution statements

PS One case ruled against them was saying prominent Brexiteers were linked to Putin. That can't be the DM surely?
          Last edited by xoggoth; 23 January 2019, 23:30.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I had a view stated in the times that I simply didn't support. The interviewer said it several times and I possibly didn't disagree strongly enough, but it certainly didn't represent my views.
            You been interviewed by a Times reporter???
            bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              I'm of the opinion that they're all as bad as each other. I had a view stated in the times that I simply didn't support. The interviewer said it several times and I possibly didn't disagree strongly enough, but it certainly didn't represent my views. I was pretty upset at the time.
              I had a similar experience, many years ago. The interviewer is there to sell either his opinion or the editor's. You are just a prop in a tragic comedy.

Comment

seems rather telling

Press watchdog received a record-breaking amount of complaints and enquiries in 2017

2017 saw a large number of ‘multiple’ complaints, where more than one similar complaint was made about the same article, which has contributed to the high number of complaints received. Unsurprisingly, newspapers with the largest circulations received the highest number of complaints with The Sun topping the list of most complaints received with 4,847 complaints, followed by the Daily Mail (4,176), Mail Online (3,536), Metro (1,500) and The Mail on Sunday (1,452). In 2017 The Sun’s publisher News UK had 12 complaints upheld and 30 not upheld. Associated (Daily Mail, Mail Online, Mail on Sunday, Metro) had 10 complaints upheld and 24 complaints not upheld.
                as usual the statistics don't agree with the snowflakes. If only the granuaid sold more than three copies!

sorry are facts getting in the way of your prejudice?

News UK tops list of complaints upheld in 2015 by Ipso | Media | The Guardian

What’s that I hear? Associated, publisher of the Mail titles? Wrong. And wrong by a substantial margin.
                In fact,according to Ipso’s annual report for 2015, the worst offender was News UK, publisher of the Sun, Times and Sunday Times. It was responsible for the press regulator upholding 11 complaints in the course of last year.
                In the unlikely event you want facts try the regulator

Rulings and resolution statements

as usual its bollocks from the usual deluded suspects.

2017 saw a large number of ‘multiple’ complaints, where more than one similar complaint was made about the same article, which has contributed to the high number of complaints received. Unsurprisingly, newspapers with the largest circulations received the highest number of complaints with The Sun topping the list of most complaints received with 4,847 complaints, followed by the Daily Mail (4,176), Mail Online (3,536), Metro (1,500) and The Mail on Sunday (1,452). In 2017 The Sun’s publisher News UK had 12 complaints upheld and 30 not upheld. Associated (Daily Mail, Mail Online, Mail on Sunday, Metro) had 10 complaints upheld and 24 complaints not upheld.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Certainly no way that the facts regarding upheld complaints fits the description "generally fails to maintain basic standards"
                  bloggoth

Comment

All reporting is coloured by the views and approach of the reporter and editor so there's no such thing as unbiased reporting. That's why splash warnings of dire content are wrong as they themselves are biased opinions and probably intended to influence readers opinion. I scan every source from the BBC to Sputnik just to get an idea of the real stories and situations. The mail and express have their place in that process but I don't believe anything any of them say fully

Comment

The Mail has a special place in the pantheon of tulipe newspapers largely because of its dire science and particularly health science reporting.

This stuff matters.

Why can't the Daily Mail eat humble pie over MMR? | The BMJ
                      Last edited by Old Greg; 24 January 2019, 10:48.

Comment

Working...
                      X