• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I put a scooter (not a moped, a scooter) through my business?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I put a scooter (not a moped, a scooter) through my business?

Hi all!

I am currently working on a project overseas, and getting around day to day is a bit of a nightmare! I'm going to buy one of these new electric scooters, and wondered if I can put it through my business? It genuinely would be w+e for business use, as I live in the countryside back home so no use for it there.

Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter - Black

Thanks in advance!

T

Originally posted by Bomster1 View Post
    Hi all!

I am currently working on a project overseas, and getting around day to day is a bit of a nightmare! I'm going to buy one of these new electric scooters, and wondered if I can put it through my business? It genuinely would be w+e for business use, as I live in the countryside back home so no use for it there.

Thanks in advance!

T
    You can put anything through your business technically, since you control your bank account.

Whether you can claim it as a tax deductible expense depends on whether it is wholly and exclusively for business purposes?

Taking them abroad can also be a problem, since airlines don't like to carry Li-Ion batteries above a certain size.

I'd buy it abroad if I was going to purchase one.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Does it need bleeding?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi all!

Thanks in advance!

T
        It's not possible to expense it if using it for travel to or from the Thistle Hotel Heathrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          You can put anything through your business technically, since you control your bank account.

Whether you can claim it as a tax deductible expense depends on whether it is wholly and exclusively for business purposes?

Taking them abroad can also be a problem, since airlines don't like to carry Li-Ion batteries above a certain size.

I'd buy it abroad if I was going to purchase one.
          Thanks for the response Scruff.

I actually drive over to Europe, so wouldn't be taking it any flights.

It would only be used when on project (getting around site, going out for lunch etc), but not sure if it counts as w+e for business use.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            It's not possible to expense it if using it for travel to or from the Thistle Hotel Heathrow.

Comment

Thanks for the response Scruff.

I actually drive over to Europe, so wouldn't be taking it any flights.

It would only be used when on project (getting around site, going out for lunch etc), but not sure if it counts as w+e for business use.
              You can claim for it - but there will be a BIK payment for any private use of it
              Far better to get yourself an R.V with a scooter on the rear - you can justify it as an alternative to staying in digs on your travels

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                Far better to get yourself an R.V with a scooter on the rear
                Pah! INKSPE. Go big or go home....

Comment

If your name is Scooter you can put anything through your business (even if it's a night at Feltham Angry Jocks Offenders Centre, aka The Thistle Hotel Heathrow), as long as you get a receipt.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Hi all!

Thanks in advance!

T
                    Why do you have a desire to look like a man child?

Can you not just walk?

Comment

Working...
                    X