• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do IMARKs have to be so long and random

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do IMARKs have to be so long and random

Just confirmed my self-assessment emailed to be by my accountant, and vexed again as I am each year by how long the IMARK value is and painstaking to copy.

It just shows the incompetent, obscurantist mindset of HMR&C IT developers, when an IMARK comprising a few randomly selected space-separated five-letter actual words would have been just as effective to confirm that the accountant's client has seen the online form, which is the sole purpose of the IMARK

What would be better for users, this monstrosity (which contains letter "O"s as well as zeroes) :

FB7JJNMQGSX7CJYNUOBPZPHRLYVZ0XAY

or this

client vibes camel vexed space
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

They clearly need to hire more contractors.

Comment

or this

client vibes camel vexed space
      If I had a contract to do that for HMRC, i'd make it create word sequences that were a string of obscenities.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        If I had a contract to do that for HMRC, i'd make it create word sequences that were a string of obscenities.
        taxes taxes taxes luvly taxes

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          The NHS Choose and Book system generated two word pass codes for patients to log in and book appointments. I remember in the early days when a patient who happened to be black was given the code 'chocolate face'.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            The NHS Choose and Book system generated two word pass codes for patients to log in and book appointments. I remember in the early days when a patient who happened to be black was given the code 'chocolate face'.

you weren't asked back?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              you weren't asked back?
              I was the brains of the operation.

Comment

I was the brains of the operation.
                Think that explains everything.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  Think that explains everything.
                  No. That was suity's business process engineering.

Comment

Working...
                  X