• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Democracy is a joke

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    An elected House of Lords too (but called something else) plus ditch the monarchy.
    Keep the first past the post, but the second past the post go into the second chamber. We could call it the house of runner-ups.

Some professionalism is needed for politicians. Otherwise they're too easily house-trained by the civil service.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      One MP, like this scumbag, can block a bill just by shouting "object".

Christopher Chope Blocks FGM Bill By Shouting 'Object' In The House Of Commons | HuffPost UK

They can also block bills by filibustering, i.e. rambling on until a bill runs put of time.

Ludicrous
      Chope has form for blocking bills, but sometimes he has a good reason and maybe that is so this time.

Hard to imagine a good reason for blocking a FGM bill on the face of it, unless he feels it is too specific or badly framed and/or doesn't go far enough
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Some professionalism is needed for politicians.
        And for CUK mods.

Comment

And I thought this thread would be about the MP in prison but still getting full pay.

Maybe they should get the same treatment as Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
            And for CUK mods.
            Bring back Scotspine.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Bring back Scotspine.
              You are right. The current lot are not so bad.

Comment

Im all for a hunger games type selection process. I figure if they can make it through the killing games then they have something about them. I can't imagine the negotiations with the EU as being as farcical if our PM had killed several other politicians.

Also, they should be allowed to carry a gun and have to protect themselves. This would cut down on police protection costs and again prove their metal.

I believe Winston Churchill had to do something similar as a lad and look how he turned out.
                Last edited by woohoo; 30 January 2019, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Im all for a hunger games type selection process. I figure if they can make it through the killing games then they have something about them.
                  For CUK mods?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    For CUK mods?
                    Not for CUK mods, they have no power or ability to influence much apart from a bunch of socially inept, incompetent IT contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Not for CUK mods, they have no power or ability to influence much apart from a bunch of socially inept, incompetent IT contractors.
                      Still, I'd pay to watch. Not much mind. Probably a bitcoin.

Comment

Working...
                      X