• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal data request - is this normal / legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal data request - is this normal / legal?

Hey all,

I’ve just landed a new contract - as part of the recruitment company’s vetting process they are asking for copies of my passport, address and NI number. This is on top of all the company documentation.

I have two issues:
    1) is this legally required? I am technically employed by my company, this is who the contract is between the recruiter and the limited company - is there any need for my personal documents? Also I don’t understand at all why they need my NI number...

2) they’ve just requested it over email - they don’t have an encryption process etc and when I’ve asked grandular questions about my data (where is it held, how long etc) they can’t answer.

What would everyone do? Just send it? Query it more? Push back because it’s not needed?

Originally posted by contractUKonline View Post
    Hey all,

I’ve just landed a new contract - as part of the recruitment company’s vetting process they are asking for copies of my passport, address and NI number. This is on top of all the company documentation.

I have two issues:
    1) is this legally required? I am technically employed by my company, this is who the contract is between the recruiter and the limited company - is there any need for my personal documents? Also I don’t understand at all why they need my NI number...

2) they’ve just requested it over email - they don’t have an encryption process etc and when I’ve asked grandular questions about my data (where is it held, how long etc) they can’t answer.

What would everyone do? Just send it? Query it more? Push back because it’s not needed?
    Normal enough. They want to check you are entitled to work in the UK so they don't get in hot water.

Comment

Hey all,

I have two issues:

Name the agency, we'll let you know if we've had any bad experiences with the same organisation.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

You are correct that your company is the one with the legal obligation to validate that you are entitled to work in the UK. Assuming you are outside IR35 (i.e. not an employee of the client or agency).

However, the client could end up in hot water if they are found to have a load of illegals working on their site so they insist on extra checks as part of their due dilligence.

If you're concerned about email then send the passport by registered post.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Did you send you Gladatorial School Certificate of Merit as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Did you send you Gladatorial School Certificate of Merit as well.
            NO juts some pictures of particularly interesting church and cathedral spires he has visited recently.

Comment

I've had the passport request a number of times. If you're particularly bothered about the security side (especially as they're asking for quite a bit all at once there), host a relatively low quality scanned copy on your own HTTPS website or on a secured AWS S3 bucket or whatever you think mitigates the unencrypted email risk sufficiently. And give them the link, and have it expire/ delete the file automatically after 7 days or whatever.

Then cross your fingers and hope they don't just email it on to the client...

Comment

Hey all,

I have two issues:

Definitely not normal. Push back and highlight your points as to why you won’t comply with their demands. Tell them in no uncertain terms that they are being very unreasonable and if they don’t drop their demands you will withdraw your application. Give them a deadline as well. Watch how they change tracks within minutes. Done it many times over the years.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Hey all,

I have two issues:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...h-passport.pdf

Read section 3.2 on P4, and make your own conclusions.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thanks for the replies

You are correct that your company is the one with the legal obligation to validate that you are entitled to work in the UK. Assuming you are outside IR35 (i.e. not an employee of the client or agency).

However, the client could end up in hot water if they are found to have a load of illegals working on their site so they insist on extra checks as part of their due dilligence.

If you're concerned about email then send the passport by registered post.
                    Hmmm....I get this. However they also want an NI number, certified address.... I think it's overkill and risky for me to send over this volume of information. A passport I can make peace with but like you said they have no legal remit.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...h-passport.pdf
                    Read section 3.2 on P4, and make your own conclusions.
                    This definitely treats a copy of the passport with a lot more weight and echoes how I feel about this - I'm assuming this is old, I wonder if there's a 2019 version.

Definitely not normal. Push back and highlight your points as to why you won’t comply with their demands. Tell them in no uncertain terms that they are being very unreasonable and if they don’t drop their demands you will withdraw your application. Give them a deadline as well. Watch how they change tracks within minutes. Done it many times over the years
                    I sort of am, but not so aggressively as I do actually want the contract. Thanks for letting me know this isn't normal in your experience, i've never had this before.

I've had the passport request a number of times. If you're particularly bothered about the security side (especially as they're asking for quite a bit all at once there), host a relatively low quality scanned copy on your own HTTPS website or on a secured AWS S3 bucket or whatever you think mitigates the unencrypted email risk sufficiently. And give them the link, and have it expire/ delete the file automatically after 7 days or whatever.

Then cross your fingers and hope they don't just email it on to the client...
                    This is true, but even that type of link isn't secure.. once downloaded they can do anything with it. It's not like I believe they have negative intensions, I just think they're trying to cover all bases but it's too much IMHO

Comment

Working...
                    X