• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Polar express: magnetic north pole moving 'pretty fast' towards Russia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polar express: magnetic north pole moving 'pretty fast' towards Russia

Earth’s north magnetic pole has been drifting so fast in recent decades that scientists say that past estimates are no longer accurate enough for precise navigation. On Monday, they released an update of where magnetic north really was, nearly a year ahead of schedule.

The magnetic north pole is moving about 34 miles (55 kilometres) a year. It crossed the international date line in 2017, and is leaving the Canadian Arctic on its way to Siberia.

The constant shift is a problem for compasses in smartphones and some consumer electronics. Planes and ships also rely on magnetic north, usually as backup navigation, said University of Colorado geophysicist Arnaud Chulliat, lead author of the newly issued World Magnetic Model. GPS is not affected because it is satellite-based.

Polar express: magnetic north pole moving 'pretty fast' towards Russia | World news | The Guardian

think the Earth's core is probably shifting, we need some unobtainium

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
      think the Earth's core is probably shifting, we need some unobtainium
      Long overdue a flip in the poles

Naturally Climate Change & B****t is accelerating it and we are all doomed

Comment

So the economy is going south, the crime figures are going south, and now even the north pole is going south!

Comment

So, Putin has a source of monopoles. Interesting...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            So, Putin has a source of monopoles. Interesting...
            ...or not.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Aggh! Wasted 5 minutes this morning putting new batteries in my digital car compass. Now I'll be going round in circles if I use it.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Aggh! Wasted 5 minutes this morning putting new batteries in my digital car compass. Now I'll be going round in circles if I use it.
                Get the missus to drive you, and you can waste 10 minutes...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  ...or not.
                  Only because you don't understand the implications.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Only because you don't understand the implications.
                    Obvioiusly I understand the implications completely but just for the benefit of those idiots who don't could you summarise them?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X