• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claimed and Shamed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claimed and Shamed

Not working today so watching some quality morning TV (Under the Hammer on next , but I digress).

One of the biggest roles I play in projects is PM and/or BA SME on Finance Systems projects. Almost always in private companies. Not just implementing financial systems, but maintaining or enhancing the financial controls in the client organisation.

This show though is highlighting how poor financial controls are in the NHS and how many frauds are taking place. What's telling though is putting some fairly standard controls in place could stop this theft from happening and certainly catch the fraudsters much faster (and with less loss to the NHS).

It's quite frightening to know that large organisations like this have such lax controls

Begs the question what the FCs are doing in these orgs?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Saw the last half of it. No expert on security matters but thought the same thing. Have worked on projects for the MOD before and laxity seems pretty typical of public sector
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I wonder if its anything to do with lack of accountability. Why bother implementing basic measures when no one cares.

Comment

The council I am working at has recently at a multi-million pound fraud case. Apparently most was down to fraud but also due to incompetence and lack of stringent financial controls and processes.

There are now emails flying out on a weekly basis almost about understanding the finance of your department, whistle blowing and following procedure etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
          The council I am working at has recently at a multi-million pound fraud case. Apparently most was down to fraud but also due to incompetence and lack of stringent financial controls and processes.

There are now emails flying out on a weekly basis almost about understanding the finance of your department, whistle blowing and following procedure etc.
          ooh. Lots of emails. That's sure to fix the problem....
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

My mrs works for the NHS and the admin side of things is a nightmare. The finance people, payroll etc are clueless beyond believe. Im not surprised.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Not working today so watching some quality morning TV (Under the Hammer on next , but I digress).

One of the biggest roles I play in projects is PM and/or BA SME on Finance Systems projects. Almost always in private companies. Not just implementing financial systems, but maintaining or enhancing the financial controls in the client organisation.

This show though is highlighting how poor financial controls are in the NHS and how many frauds are taking place. What's telling though is putting some fairly standard controls in place could stop this theft from happening and certainly catch the fraudsters much faster (and with less loss to the NHS).

It's quite frightening to know that large organisations like this have such lax controls

Begs the question what the FCs are doing in these orgs?
              What was the fraud in the NHS?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                My mrs works for the NHS and the admin side of things is a nightmare. The finance people, payroll etc are clueless beyond believe. Im not surprised.
                And here is Mr Claimedandshamed himself!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  What was the fraud in the NHS?
                  Lots around faked invoices, fake timesheets, that kind of stuff. Just no controls anywhere and hundreds of thousands paid; in one case the AP guy seemed to be able to add invoices and do the pay run too, so no segregation of duties.

Not just one hospital either, there were multiple different ones in the show so seems endemic across that sector.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Lots around faked invoices, fake timesheets, that kind of stuff. Just no controls anywhere and hundreds of thousands paid; in one case the AP guy seemed to be able to add invoices and do the pay run too, so no segregation of duties.

Not just one hospital either, there were multiple different ones in the show so seems endemic across that sector.
                    The NHS being a beacon of light and hope in the bleak UK is just meaningless propaganda.

The whole organisation is tulip. Yet if anyone suggests it they are just a privatising tory scumbag.

We have no debate around what it is now, what it is becoming, what it could become or what it should become. A bit like b***** in that all sensible conversation has been hijacked by clints to push their own agenda.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X