• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cv porkies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know quite a few contractors,who have not updated their Linkedin for years,or are not on Linkedin.
    I also see people still working for companies that are either canned the project,or went live ages ago.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Most of the market are outright liars I find.

I usually do a quick phone interview where I ask about the pros and cons of some tech and 90% of candidates can't even discuss it because they've had no exposure, let alone go into the detail of being the individual who researched and implemented the solution to a problem and understanding the whys of the solution.

This sweeps across the market, the quality of EAs, SAs, DevOps, and Devs are all highly suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
        Most of the market are outright liars I find.

I usually do a quick phone interview where I ask about the pros and cons of some tech and 90% of candidates can't even discuss it because they've had no exposure, let alone go into the detail of being the individual who researched and implemented the solution to a problem and understanding the whys of the solution.

This sweeps across the market, the quality of EAs, SAs, DevOps, and Devs are all highly suspect.
        Correct

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          Very true. Some contractors put skills onto their CV without any knowledge of those subjects at all. And the blagging they do when questioned in interview about it can be pitiful.

A little bit of exaggeration is probably a good thing, because it keeps them on their toes. But when they turn that into blatant lies, it is no use to anyone.

Now, Just got to get back to my work as Google's chief search algorithm architect, before I prepare for my next role designing the next CERN particle accelerator to be built encircling the entire country of Switzerland, and automated radiator bleeding system for sale to gladiators.
          It's partly encouraged by ultra-picky clients who insist on 100% coverage of their sometimes ridiculously long and specific required skill set.

If a candidate knows damn well they are a pretty much perfect fit for a contract, but one obviously marginal and easy to master skill is missing, it's very tempting and often successful to pop that onto a CV customised for that client
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            It's partly encouraged by ultra-picky clients who insist on 100% coverage of their sometimes ridiculously long and specific required skill set.

If a candidate knows damn well they are a pretty much perfect fit for a contract, but one obviously marginal and easy to master skill is missing, it's very tempting and often successful to pop that onto a CV customised for that client
            I think it's more the agencies who won't forward your cv if it is in their eyes not a 100% match as they don't have a clue in most cases. End clients most of the time know better

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              I think it's more the agencies who won't forward your cv if it is in their eyes not a 100% match as they don't have a clue in most cases. End clients most of the time know better
              I find it's half a dozen of one and half a dozen of the other.

Lots of roles I do don't exist in the traditional sense and I find older recruitment agents and clients are aware they won't get an exact match, there as younger ones think they can.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

"Van driver wanted - must have experience of driving red vans"
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Well the saga continues. Had a phone interview last week. The guy is sub par but for some reason client is desperate to the point they want him in for face to face. Come Friday he pulled out and said he found somewhere else. Today got an email that he wants an interview if the position is still open. LOL what was this guy thinking???? Well the client is willing to have him in for the he'll of it but has reservations. Technically I don't think he is good enough but I can only advise the client when the time comes after the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
                    Well the saga continues. Had a phone interview last week. The guy is sub par but for some reason client is desperate to the point they want him in for face to face. Come Friday he pulled out and said he found somewhere else. Today got an email that he wants an interview if the position is still open. LOL what was this guy thinking???? Well the client is willing to have him in for the he'll of it but has reservations. Technically I don't think he is good enough but I can only advise the client when the time comes after the interview.
                    To be fair, many of the same clients pick "market rates" out of the backend, refuse to budge and fail to ever place despite trying for 10 months.

If you can't get the quality for the rate, up it and steal someone. If you're not willing to compete, your only option is to hire someone suspect and hope they learn.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                      To be fair, many of the same clients pick "market rates" out of the backend, refuse to budge and fail to ever place despite trying for 10 months.

If you can't get the quality for the rate, up it and steal someone. If you're not willing to compete, your only option is to hire someone suspect and hope they learn.
                      You get what you pay for in general. Some clients, despite having junior, regular and senior permie roles, seem to think that there's just one type of contractor rather than green, seasoned and chancers.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X