• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Residence while working away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siphr View Post
    Wow! Flying into work sounds incredible. The question is mainly from the point of view of understanding the best practice rather a specific instance. I am mentally preparing myself to work away so establishing some knowledge-base regarding the factors involved. Residence is one such major factor.
    I'd suggest if it's your first time staying away, go for a reasonable hotel for the first few weeks.

...oh and the word you want is accommodation, not residence.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      It's call a camper van. I've been tempted by this route to live away accommodation too. Never quite got round to working out the pay back time on the cost of the campervan vs hotel rate.

Campervans are way more expensive than a normal van (more so if you don't already have a van and folding bed ), though motorhomes tend to hold their value well so the cost to purchase is not lost, unlike the cost of hotels.

As for claiming as an expense, it's a moot point when under the IR35 'no travel expenses' ban, which many contractors will be or soon will be.

It is a more hardcore choice so unless adventurous then seek more traditional easier options as mentioned by others. Though at least in your own bed you know how clean the sheets and pillows really are.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I’ve used SpareRoom for my last three live-away gigs. £100/week and I’m choosy.

Comment

Working...
        X