• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Residence while working away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have had this discussion before

I mentioned I had worked alongside a contractor who parked his camper van up in the clients car park for the duration of the contract. Happily the client didnt mind, and it all worked out fine. He seemed to enjoy it.

I have also worked alongside a contractor who would commute in his private plane, he lived near an airport at one side of the country, and we were working near an airport at the other side of the country, and he simply flew from one side of the country to the other like most people drive to work. That worked out fine too. Great lad, would love to know where he is now.

But in my own case I mostly use cheap hotels... whatever the best deal is at the time..

If you give us a clue where you are working we may be able to help recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
      we have had this discussion before

I mentioned I had worked alongside a contractor who parked his camper van up in the clients car park for the duration of the contract. Happily the client didnt mind, and it all worked out fine. He seemed to enjoy it.

I have also worked alongside a contractor who would commute in his private plane, he lived near an airport at one side of the country, and we were working near an airport at the other side of the country, and he simply flew from one side of the country to the other like most people drive to work. That worked out fine too. Great lad, would love to know where he is now.

But in my own case I mostly use cheap hotels... whatever the best deal is at the time..

If you give us a clue where you are working we may be able to help recommend.
      Wow! Flying into work sounds incredible. The question is mainly from the point of view of understanding the best practice rather a specific instance. I am mentally preparing myself to work away so establishing some knowledge-base regarding the factors involved. Residence is one such major factor.

Comment

Originally posted by siphr View Post
        Wow! Flying into work sounds incredible. The question is mainly from the point of view of understanding the best practice rather a specific instance. I am mentally preparing myself to work away so establishing some knowledge-base regarding the factors involved. Residence is one such major factor.
        There is no best practice. It's the best option that suits your individual requirements, some of which are personal so it's something for you to work out what suits you (sir).
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just done a rough calculation

Assuming (for simplicity) a 2nd hand campervan for £16K

Hotels at £80 and having to be on site 5 days per week

You would need approximately 40 week to recover the initial outlay on the van (1 year contract) assuming you can park for free at the client site.

Comment

Originally posted by siphr View Post
            join all the hotel brand loyalty schemes, will get you better rates, allocated better rooms, and they throw in perks like free rooms or meals when you get enough points. even if you just use hotels now and again it can soon add up.

Comment

I’ve been lucky with Spare Rooms before.

Download the app, and search to include En-Suite.

I stayed with a family - mother was a uni lecturer and her two kids were polite and well behaved. No regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                It's been a long time, but I prefer a reasonable hotel in a fairly central location. You can usually get a good rate for being a regular. It's just more convenient than renting.

At one place I used to enjoy a whiskey with the chef, once the restaurant was closed.
                Ditto. If I'm away from home I want a nice hotel with nice eating places nearby and close to the office so I can walk in. I often try a few around to find which one I like best then arrange a rate for myself as a long staying regular guest.

I did my first couple of contracts away staying above grotty pubs to save some pennies. Now I make sure the rate covers a decent hotel otherwise I don't take the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                  It's call a camper van. I've been tempted by this route to live away accommodation too. Never quite got round to working out the pay back time on the cost of the campervan vs hotel rate.
                  Try claiming the cost of a camper-van back from Hector. Then try claiming back a hotel receipt. I know which I'd choose.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    Ditto. If I'm away from home I want a nice hotel with nice eating places nearby and close to the office so I can walk in. I often try a few around to find which one I like best then arrange a rate for myself as a long staying regular guest.

I did my first couple of contracts away staying above grotty pubs to save some pennies. Now I make sure the rate covers a decent hotel otherwise I don't take the contract.
                    This. And don't forget parking. If you're in any city centre location, you could well be shelling out £20 a day for that alone. If the hotel includes parking, you're saving.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      This. And don't forget parking. If you're in any city centre location, you could well be shelling out £20 a day for that alone. If the hotel includes parking, you're saving.
                      How many hotels have free parking anymore? I think ever since they started givng free wi-fi, they hiked up the parking costs.

I tend to use hotels and those which have a customer package, i.e. so you can collect all those bonus points so you gradually get upgraded and all the other extras. I did 5 years in one particular hotel, got the same room each week, they had a parking space just for me in the underground garage (and had the lift to the garage ready and open for me as they saw me drive up to it), got discounted and so on. Then with all the bonus points, it pays for all those dirty weekends away with the mistress and doesn't show up on your credit card, sorted...
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X