• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What’s your motivation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Divorce settlements

FTFY
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Money. Take it 1 day at a time. You can usually manage 1 more billable day. Rinse and repeat.

Also start doing shorter days. I do 2 x 7.5 hour days and 2 x 7 hour days and that's plenty. If they're that bothered, they can bimnm but they'll probably have a word first.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Money. Take it 1 day at a time. You can usually manage 1 more billable day. Rinse and repeat.

Also start doing shorter days. I do 2 x 7.5 hour days and 2 x 7 hour days and that's plenty. If they're that bothered, they can bimnm but they'll probably have a word first.
        yeh, not that many ex-mothercare security people left now, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
          I think "it could be worse, I could be Wilmslow".

<<canned laughter>>
          WBPS

Comment

Christ, the motivation to get out of bed on a weekday morning is getting steadily harder...

For the last three years, spanning three different companies, I've worked as a BA and on each occasion workload has been virtually non-existent, to the point that I actually think the job of a Business Analyst is to sit there and look busy.

Each time a major takeover has been a primary factor in the lack of workload (I always seem to be on the side of being taken over) - currently four months into a six month gig, company takeover was announced just before I started, and I've done about a week's work total. I don't even get emails, nothing that I can spin up into more work, just sat there playing with the test system.

I know a proper contractor would leave, but perversely they've just offered a renewal. I don't leave as:

1). This is my first proper contract role, so I don't have much of a warchest;
            2). Potentially, if I don't get canned once the takeover goes through, there is the potential for some exposure to really exciting projects for a market leader;
            3). It's a nice place to work, and the people are very nice (maybe something to do with everybody having **** all to do).

It's absolutely soul-destroying, has really dented my confidence and made me feel a bit depressed.

So long post, but yeah, it's invoice day tomorrow...
            Last edited by fiisch; 27 February 2019, 21:55.

Comment

I'm working on a Scala project at the moment.

I can make the hours rush past by looking for every super ingenious way to make my code ever slicker. The language begs you to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                It's absolutely soul-destroying, has really dented my confidence and made me feel a bit depressed.

So long post, but yeah, it's invoice day tomorrow...
                Get an account with one of the online training companies, and smash through some certifications.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                  the motivation to get out of bed on a weekday morning is getting steadily harder...

The Wife (tm) sometimes says something similar, but not as frequently now as she used to.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

100% the cash.

I *could* ditch and leave, but then it means my personal life goals are that little bit further away.

Comment

I intend to die at my desk. They can dispose of my body as they wish. Medical science if they want.

Just as long as they make sure I am dead first.....

Comment

Working...
                      X