• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BMW X5 - Diesel or Hybrid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW X5 - Diesel or Hybrid?

I'm wanting to upgrade my 3 series touring to a BMW X5 (Old model - 1-2 years old). Their prices have really dropped over the last few months and I can sniff a good deal.... My only issue is that I'm concerned about the depreciation of Diesel vehicles in light of them being banned in future. Is it worth going Hybrid, anybody have experience with the e model?

What happens when a BMW driver tried the indicator. Its why they don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      I'm wanting to upgrade my 3 series touring to a BMW X5 (Old model - 1-2 years old). Their prices have really dropped over the last few months and I can sniff a good deal.... My only issue is that I'm concerned about the depreciation of Diesel vehicles in light of them being banned in future. Is it worth going Hybrid, anybody have experience with the e model?
      What are you going to use it for?

Long distance weekly commuting or short(ish) distance daily commuting.

Long distance and you may find that the mpg of the hybrid is really naff, especially when compared to the diesel. You are also buying 2nd hand, 1-2 years old, so a lot of the depreciation has already hit. The motoring organisations, last time I looked, all seem to say that if you expect to do high mileage then diesel is still the way to go. That said I ignored their advice and ordered a petrol engine car, mainly because the dealers couldn't get confirmation from VW group that the diesel engined option was really still available. I got the same story from 3 brands in the group Skoda, SEAT, and VW with respect to the 2.0l diesel engine.

Comment

Personally, I think the depreciation is a bit like equities in that respect - the market has already reacted to diseasal being phased out, so second hand values of diseasals have already plumetted. Sold a diseasal in 2017 and had a hard time shifting it because of all the noises about diseasal (especially as it was a VAG).

So I don't think you'd have too much of an issue with a diesel option, and for me hybrid is not without it's drawbacks (battery life, still lesser economy than diesel etc.) - also, hybrid is also on the wane as fully electric cars will inevitably take over from petrol/diesel/hybrid longer term.

I'd have the diseasal if your mileage is up to it (at least >15,000)... Although, I hate myself for saying that, and I vowed after my last car never to have another diesel, but then that's probably because I'm a bit of a boy racer!

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
          Personally, I think the depreciation is a bit like equities in that respect - the market has already reacted to diseasal being phased out, so second hand values of diseasals have already plumetted. Sold a diseasal in 2017 and had a hard time shifting it because of all the noises about diseasal (especially as it was a VAG).

So I don't think you'd have too much of an issue with a diesel option, and for me hybrid is not without it's drawbacks (battery life, still lesser economy than diesel etc.) - also, hybrid is also on the wane as fully electric cars will inevitably take over from petrol/diesel/hybrid longer term.

I'd have the diseasal if your mileage is up to it (at least >15,000)... Although, I hate myself for saying that, and I vowed after my last car never to have another diesel, but then that's probably because I'm a bit of a tit!
          Your spelling checker on the blink or something?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Rather than deciding on the brand/model then choosing an engine, what are your requirements in a car?

e.g. If you require an SUV, you could get 3 new Dacia Dusters for the price of an X5, and they come with indicators as standard.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'd have no problems getting a diesel at the moment. IMO banning them is such a long way off I wouldn't be factoring in the depreciation of it at this point. I do like the idea of the hybrids but problems with them 5 years down the line is a bigger risk to me than depreciation of diesels.

It's gonna be another couple of years before I'm happy hybrids are solid and the diesel issues are better known before I start writing one type off when I'm buying IMHO.

At this point I'd just go for the one that takes your fancy and meets your criteria regardless of it being diesel or hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Rather than deciding on the brand/model then choosing an engine, what are your requirements in a car?

e.g. If you require an SUV, you could get 3 new Dacia Dusters for the price of an X5, and they come with indicators as standard.
                Indeed. Dunno the prices but the Kia Sportages appear to have really made their mark as well.

I do believe we had all this with the OP when he got his first BMW so I don't think these are an option.

Comment

Looking on Autotrader, an up-to 2 year old X5 Diesel will cost £29-40k

New & Used Cars for Sale - Auto Trader UK

For the same money you could have a new Landy Disco Sport, Jag F-Pace or if you want better off-road handling, a Shogun.

Drop the budget, get a Kia Sportage, Mazda CX-5, Merc GLA, Skoda Kodiaq, VW Tiguan, etc.

Second hand, there's the Volvo XC60, VW Tourag, Toyota LandCruiser, etc

I've not mentioned my personal preference as it's a drivers car, not the sort of one a BMW owner would be interested in
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'd have no problems getting a diesel at the moment. IMO banning them is such a long way off I wouldn't be factoring in the depreciation of it at this point.
                    Agreed. However I do have a diesel - and the cost of diesel per litre relative to petrol seems to increase all the time. Due to lack of demand? Though on a per mileage basis it is still 30% cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                    X