• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chlorine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chlorine

Water and health | Water UK

Why is chlorine added to tap water?

Chlorine is a disinfectant used by water companies around the world to maintain hygienic conditions within the public water supply network of pipes. At the very low levels used in drinking water – routinely at 0.5 mg/l or less (WHO sets the maximum guideline at 5mg/l) – it is perfectly safe.

I'm thinking of starting a thread about how measles vaccinations are a good thing.

Comment

Fun fact. Half of Swiss water is untreated. It is one of the highest quality drinking waters in the world... and the locals drink bottled water.

But they do generally agree measles vaccines are a good thing.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Rinsing with a bit of bleach is much cheaper than using mouthwash. If I get constipated I just swallow a glass of drain unblocker. Works great!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Fun fact. Half of Swiss water is untreated. It is one of the highest quality drinking waters in the world... and the locals drink bottled water.

But they do generally agree measles vaccines are a good thing.
          I remeber the Zermatt typhoid outbreak in 1963. Several thousand people fell ill. It was caused by plop-plops from overflowing sewage getting into the reservoir.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I remeber the Zermatt typhoid outbreak in 1963. Several thousand people fell ill. It was caused by plop-plops from overflowing sewage getting into the reservoir.

There were 437 cases and three deaths, a case fatality rate of 0·7%.
            The Zermatt typhoid outbreak in 1963* | Epidemiology & Infection | Cambridge Core

7. The water purification at the treatment station was inadequate; in particular the holding time for chlorination was too short, and the required concentration of 0·2 p.p.m. was not reached consistently. In addition, there were periods during which completely unchlorinated water reached the general supply.
            8. It was discovered, some months after the epidemic, that there was leakage of sewage, probably of long standing, into the chlorination tank. This seems to be the most likely source of the water contamination.

Comment

Chlorine washed chickens, riddled with salmonella

The investigation, by a team of microbiologists from Southampton University and published in the US journal mBio, found that bacilli such as listeria and salmonella remain completely active after chlorine washing. The process merely makes it impossible to culture them in the lab, giving the false impression that the chlorine washing has been effective.
              Which means the government will give assurances that US chickens are perfectly safe to eat.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Chlorine washed chickens, riddled with salmonella

Which means the government will give assurances that US chickens are perfectly safe to eat.

We could always learn how to cook a chicken properly, after all, our grand parents and parents could.

Or, we don't buy US chicken, we buy it from a place we trust.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  We could always learn how to cook a chicken properly, after all, our grand parents and parents could.

Or, we don't buy US chicken, we buy it from a place we trust.
                  So when you go to a pub take a few bites from the chicken before you notice that it's underdone, you will be sentenced to 3 days of purgatory.

Tens of thousands of Americans are hospitalised every year because of accidentally eating an under cooked chicken, or not wiping the kitchen table down properly after frying their chicken wings.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 March 2019, 15:51.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    So when you go to a pub take a few bites from the chicken before you notice that it's underdone, you will be sentenced to 3 days of purgatory.

Tens of thousands of Americans are hospitalised every year because of accidentally eating an under cooked chicken.

I'm sure that in a country as litigious as the United States that eventually people will learn how to cook a chicken. If you don't trust something, don't eat/order it.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X