• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When client manager says "maybe we should do a 1-2-1"!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Aaarrgghhhhhh.

Obsessed with this sort of thing even more in the public sector it seems. Tried telling the guy its completely pointless but hes cracking on with it.

Hey ho. Inside IR35 so thats not an issue but still.... Smile and put up with I suppose.

Managers seems to like their power in the public sector...
    Ask for a pay rise. Tell him where you want to be in 5 years and complain about the coffee/tea making facilities. That sounds about right for a public sector employee.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Ask for a pay rise. Tell him where you want to be in 5 years and complain about the coffee/tea making facilities. That sounds about right for a public sector employee.
      Remember to agree personal development goals.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Depends how you use it, I guess. I don't mind an occasional catch up to make sure we're all on the same page, they're happy etc. Doesn't need to be formalised or objective-based, it's just good old fashioned client relationship management.

I used to have an account management type job where a substantial portion (Probably 25%) was literally just going to have a coffee with customers - no agenda, no sales, just a catch up.
        Yup completely agree - if they really insist they could do a company service review.

And then I would feed that back to my co's employee's to ensure they take on board the message.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I thought you were inside anyway? Shouldn’t make a blind bit of difference
          Of course - inside anyway. BUT its still a waste of time....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            What makes me laugh is that often these 'managers' are so useless and simply follow the rules and kiss arse that they cannot even comprehend why have a 1-2-1 with a contractor is a huge waste of time.

I think their thought process must be something like

person working for me - therefore must assert dominance - therefore must write things down.

The concept that you are employed to a add value seems to escape people like this - but to be fair they also do not really understand what adding value is either so...
            Deffo a power thing for some managers I reckon.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yup completely agree - if they really insist they could do a company service review.

And then I would feed that back to my co's employee's to ensure they take on board the message.

Not really sure I grasp your desperate need to be sarcastic about it. You're both the manager and the deliverer, that's the only real difference between a company. Just because there's nobody else to pass on the message to doesn't mean there's nothing for you to act on.

Comment

Not really sure I grasp your desperate need to be sarcastic about it. You're both the manager and the deliverer, that's the only real difference between a company. Just because there's nobody else to pass on the message to doesn't mean there's nothing for you to act on.

Comment

Perhaps. Probably easier if people could express themselves properly over textual mediums, too.

(Yes, I'm having a bad day. Yes, I'm stroppy!)

Comment

Perhaps. Probably easier if people could express themselves properly over textual mediums, too.

(Yes, I'm having a bad day. Yes, I'm stroppy!)
                    I did kind of notice!

I just hate middle management bullshido as just adds cost and time but rarely any value.

Comment

I did kind of notice!

I just hate middle management bullshido as just adds cost and time but rarely any value.
                      Well, yeah, but what else are they going to do all day because it's sure as tulip not anything useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X