• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fraud / scam victim advice required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    Did IP lookup, unfortunately all Yahoo servers, as this is a yahoo, there is no way of knowing which computer the email was sent from
    Yahoo will have logs of the actual client computer.
    Yahoo wil not provide them to you. Only to law enforcement, or possibly the builder who's account was maybe compromised (although i doubt it).

Still not going to help you as it proves nothing. Stop trying to help the builder prove he as ahcked and stick to "I've paid as requested. If you got hacked it's not my problem. Sorry."
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Confirmation of payee is going live within banking in the next few months - so the account name MUST match so will stop most of these scams

Did you send it to a UK based bank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

The payment went to a pre-paid card Prepay Technology bank??
        The bank insist they can't do anything further, but I wrote a letter to escalate.
        The builder denying he was hacked, denying he sent me any of the emails, and told me I still owe him.

I contacted citizen advice bureau , they said they can't help as this is out of their scope.
        Went back to the met-police/action fraud report I made when I discovered the scam, they only have a pre-recorded message, the online chat said I will get an answer in due time, as there is a lot of cases and demand for their services .... so not getting to be able to speak to anyone !

Oh well, I told the builder am escalating the matter to the bank and action fraud and wont pay until investigation is done... but I agree as far as I am concerned he sent me those emails, and have copies of it, he is very defensive very worried and denying the hacking was on his side... I expect he was warned not to admit any fault.

Comment

If the builder didn't see the email you sent asking how to pay the invoice then his end must have been hacked for them to delete it before he saw it. This is backed up by the fact (from the information you've provided) the only genuine reference to him being in Portugal you received was via Whatsapp and not by email, so if your email was hacked/intercepted that information wouldn't have been known to the perp.

Unless you used the same mobile for whatsapp and sending the emails and that has been compromised somehow.

So I'd be asking him how sure he can be that someone else hasn't intercepted your emails at his end (e.g. accessing his computer/laptop/phone while he was logged in) and directed payment elsewhere then deleted the emails. i.e. What device(s) has he been using while in Portugal to check emails.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            If the builder didn't see the email you sent asking how to pay the invoice then his end must have been hacked for them to delete it before he saw it. This is backed up by the fact (from the information you've provided) the only genuine reference to him being in Portugal you received was via Whatsapp and not by email, so if your email was hacked/intercepted that information wouldn't have been known to the perp.

Unless you used the same mobile for whatsapp and sending the emails and that has been compromised somehow.
            Both the email from hacker and builder's Whatapp message told me he was in Portugal, the hacker said until Friday, but the Whatsapp said until Sat (or the other way around, didn't notice the difference until I re read them again after what happened...
            Yes was abroad, and was using my iphone to send WhatsAppl and emails.

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            So I'd be asking him how sure he can be that someone else hasn't intercepted your emails at his end (e.g. accessing his computer/laptop/phone while he was logged in) and directed payment elsewhere then deleted the emails. i.e. What device(s) has he been using while in Portugal to check emails.
            He said he never checked his emails abroad, he didn't use any computer, so the only solution someone hacked his email remotely, or someone hacked his wifi or something while he was away.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
              Both the email from hacker and builder's Whatapp message told me he was in Portugal, the hacker said until Friday, but the Whatsapp said until Sat (or the other way around, didn't notice the difference until I re read them again after what happened...
              Yes was abroad, and was using my iphone to send WhatsAppl and emails.

He said he never checked his emails abroad, he didn't use any computer, so the only solution someone hacked his email remotely, or someone hacked his wifi or something while he was away.
              Or you could be talking bollocks.

Zig - In "Just saying, like" mode
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Fraud / scam victim advice required

How did you transfer founds from your account to a pre-paid credit card? They don’t have a sort or account number, you normally need to log on to providers site (PayPal / everyone else) and top up

How did you do this ?

Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 10 March 2019, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  How did you transfer founds from your account to a pre-paid credit card? They don’t have a sort or account number, you normally need to log on to providers site (PayPal / everyone else) and top up

How did you do this ?

Prepay Technology
                  PrePay Solutions | Alternative banking

Standard account number and sort code
                  Sounds like exactly the sort of thing that may get abused for stuff like this.

Comment

Working...
                  X