• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's not just Labour who have a problem with antisemitism.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    You can't be mates with both of 'em it seems. It would probably be better if everyone agreed to this and got on with life.
    Heresy!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Heresy!
      One doesn't think all is lost - they both seem to like hummus, so they should start from there and work out

Comment

Completely agree on this.

Particularly the way that informal codes of behaviour/traditions for politicians started to be eroded step by step.

It wasn't all at once, but once one politician stopped doing something that used to be expected, another crack appeared in their democracy. Social standards, once broken, do not heal. Ever since Gingrich decided that trolling the Democrats was better than functional government it's been getting worse and worse.

Regarding the leftwards lean of the Democrats:

Economically I think it's overdue. Capitalism doesn't work properly with such gross imbalances of power and information between rich/poor, companies/employees, etc. Fixing these imbalances won't break capitalism, it will allow it to function as it is meant to.

I am pretty liberal, but the PC culture is insane and often both counter productive and completely illogical. The 'cultural appropriation' thing takes the prize. Apparently multiculturalism is now racist. FFS.

Having said that, a lot of people do use completely about PC to excuse their bigotry. So it's good to remember that PC was and still largely is a response to a genuine issue.

Sorry for essay. I'm going to kid myself that someone will read it and think it worth the effort of me writing it

QUOTE=TwoWolves;2629597]The Democrats have been rapidly moving left for some time, guess you didn't notice. As are the Republicans, that's what Neo-Conservatives are.

These are not interesting times at all. You should read more classics, it looks rather like the fall of Rome - almost identical [trivial] obsessions and spiralling public debt.[/QUOTE]

Comment

No one asked for my opinion... But work is really quite today :P

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Labour don't like Jews
          Tories don't like Muslims
          I'm really not convinced this is true.

I was pretty horrified by the whole thing until one of my Jewish cousins lost his temper with me. He believes it's s all utter bulltulip cooked up as the latest way to discredit Corbyn for daring to be left wing.

I've done a lot of reading on it since then, and it's still a bit confusing, but most of the Labour anti semitism seems to be, like the Congresswoman's comments, pretty legitimate criticism of Israel that's then branded as antisemitism because Israel says it is.

What was particularly striking was how many people accused of antisemitism (some of whom lost their jobs) were actually jewish. And how many comments were declared to be racist based on obscure tropes, some from decades ago, that most people wouldn't even know existed. For example, Corbyn got hammered for supporting a public pointing of 4 famous capitalists (only one of whom was jewish) because the art style was similar to some Anita Jewish cartoons in world war 2. Seems pretty f***ing tenuous to me.

Also, the double standards are incredible. Labour were hammered for not being sure about adopting a definition of antisemitism which formally equated criticising Israel with antisemitism... (Which seems like PC not gone mad but deliberately twisted for political purposes.) The Tories... Haven't adopted it in part, in full, or indeed any other measures.

I feel sorry for the female Jewish MP who left Labour. She's experienced bad antisemitic harassment by right wing trolls. However, her claim that this is the reason for moving to the right is a bit counter intuitive... Is this some new form of stokholm syndrome? Many of those that left the party were facing deselection,so pretty convenient they then found an issue to be appalled by!

Comment

I need more of this wisdom.

Comment

Working...
            X