• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US 'warns Germany a Huawei deal could hurt intelligence sharing'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US 'warns Germany a Huawei deal could hurt intelligence sharing'

Which is it? A US smear campaign or are my naughty surfing habits going to be common knowledge in Shanghai? I think the former.

Money. Probably nothing more than money and the US losing dominance over the sector. Recently it was revealed the US were listening in on Merkel's mobile phone conversations. So if Germany use Huawei instead of AT&T, Trump will no longer be able to listening in on Merkel's naughty naughty.

The failing empire that is the US will not go quietly into the night, will it... let's hope the rest of us avoid the fallout.

The US has told Germany it would curb intelligence sharing with Berlin if it allows Huawei to participate in its 5G mobile network.

The warning came in a recent letter from the US ambassador to Germany seen by the Wall Street Journal.

The US has been lobbying its allies to boycott Huawei due to national security risks.

The firm has pushed back against claims it poses a security threat including suing the US government.

US ambassador Richard Grenell said the US would not be able to keep the same level of co-operation with German security agencies if Germany allowed Huawei or other Chinese firms to participate in its next-generation 5G mobile network, the Wall Street Journal reported.

In the letter to Germany's economics minister dated last Friday, Mr Grenell said secure communications systems are essential for defence and intelligence co-operation, and that firms like Huawei could compromise this.

The warning marks an escalation in the Trump administration's efforts to convince allies to boycott the Chinese tech giant.

The US, Australia and New Zealand have all blocked local firms from using Huawei to provide the technology for their 5G networks.

Huawei has launched a more aggressive strategy in recent months to counter what it sees as an American "smear" campaign.

Last week, it filed a lawsuit against the US government over a ban that restricts federal agencies from using its products, arguing it is "unconstitutional."

Huawei has also taken out ads in the foreign press and invited foreign journalists to visit its campuses.

It told Americans in a full-page ad in the Wall Street Journal not to "believe everything you hear."

source: US 'warns Germany a Huawei deal could hurt intelligence sharing' - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

That equipment should have never been allowed anywhere near critical infrastructure (which is Internet now).

Ericsson (a EU company) got 5G equipment, why isn't Germany buying it?

Comment

U.S. "Gets Its Ass Handed To It" In World War III Simulation: RAND | Zero Hedge

RAND's wargames show how US Armed Forces - colored blue on wargame maps - experience the most substantial losses in one scenario after another and still can't thwart Russia or China - which predictably is red - from accomplishing their objectives: annihilating Western forces.

"We lose a lot of people. We lose a lot of equipment. We usually fail to achieve our objective of preventing aggression by the adversary," he warned.
      I wondered how it would fare if they factored in all of NATO - if the US on their own fare so badly I don't have much hope for the rest of us. Especially if it kicks off in Europe which will be their (US) chosen battlefield. Although for WW3 they won't be watching their 'beautiful missile' action on the news....

We'll be fooked for sure. Someone remind what the upside of WW3 is again?
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The upside, moron, is that WW3 will be so horrible that it acts as a deterrent for anybody to start it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Ericsson (a EU company) got 5G equipment, why isn't Germany buying it?
          Whilst the UK sings praises over contactless payments many Germans still continue to use cash. It's a privacy thing. Don't expect Germany to jump in with both feet when new tech comes. They far more prefer to establish old tech. A recent trip to London and I'm amazed you can't even get 3G in much of the underground network!! Feck me. Many if not all underground services here in Munich have 4G, and it's fast.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, privacy, as if Google/Apple don't know what users are doing whilst tracking them via phones OR networks to which phones are connected.

Comment

The upside, moron, is that WW3 will be so horrible that it acts as a deterrent for anybody to start it.
              I meant upside to actually starting it.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Good old MAD.

You know it makes sense.

Wear your mushrooms with pride.

Cobalt Thorium G for the win.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

That equipment should have never been allowed anywhere near critical infrastructure (which is Internet now).

Ericsson (an EU company) got 5G equipment, why isn't Germany buying it?
                  A combination of price, self-destruction and corruption I'd wager. I've done some work for Ericsson, great company (software needs improvement).

Huawei is a consumer arm of the MSS and all this strange US bashing just smells of more Trump derangement syndrome.

Comment

You seriously think China is not looking to increase its own power in the world? Will not use any opportunity to do so?

Not a Trump fan generally but on this issue I think he's right. Look at China's thefts of intellectual property over decades, look where a large proportion of fake goods to Europe come from. Anyone who thinks China will not do all it can to serve itself is living in a dream world.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 13 March 2019, 09:47.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X