• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"educational course" or 3 points + fine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"educational course" or 3 points + fine

What's the current thinking? Looks like all course dates nearby are in the working week..

if your license is clean then take the 3 points
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

May affect insurance premiums if you take the points.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
        May affect insurance premiums if you take the points.
        by far less than either the fine, or half a day's lost work
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          if your license is clean then take the 3 points
          I got my first camera flash a month or so ago, and have to make the same decision.

Licence is currently clean, I’ll be taking the course to keep it that way.

For no other reason than to keep my licence clean ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            I got my first camera flash a month or so ago, and have to make the same decision.

Licence is currently clean, I’ll be taking the course to keep it that way.

For no other reason than to keep my licence clean ;-)
            I did the same. In my 20's I managed to rack up 9 points with 6 in the space of 9 months. Driving for a few years with one more before I get a tot up ban was excruciating so don't want to get anywhere near that ever again so I'm all for keeping the licence clean. To be fair I've only been caught twice in the last 20 years and don't ride a motorbike now so maybe overplaying the risk a tad.

I did a hell of a lot of miles in the 3 years when I was working away and also did a 120+ miles a day commute at a 4 year gig so need to keep the points off with so much time on the road.

Main aim for me is keeping the points off at all costs.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 16 March 2019, 15:04.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              by far less than either the fine, or half a day's lost work
              Not when the insurance companies ask you to fess up about this for the next 5 years

As the OP has been offered a course, this suggests a Band A offence (£100 minimum, or 25% - 75% weekly wage depending on severity) which is much less than the insurance screwing you for 5 years

Comment

Obviously points is the worst option.

Take the course and don't forget to inform your insurance company

Comment

First offence - just coming up to ten years of having a driving license.
                  One of my concerns is that the courses around me in NE London are all on a weekday so affects my ability to charge. Unless insurance goes up by a lot it's nominally not worth it. The clincher is how much is having a clean license with it?

Was on the M25, variable speed limit. Went past some people just starting to lay out cones, just after a 50 limit, a little further and I thought that would be it so sped up. Came to the next gantry and saw it was still 50, so I braked gently - which I thought would be enough to bring me down to a camera acceptable speed but alas not. Next ten miles or so were all limited despite nothing happening

Well, I have been a naughty boy, a few people have said the course so away I go.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    don't forget to inform your insurance company
                    There's no way for them to know if you don't tell them because the police can't tell But you've told us now and I'm sure insurance companies scan social media for miscreants

Comment

Working...
                    X