• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"educational course" or 3 points + fine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    by far less than either the fine, or half a day's lost work
    Did my course on a sunday morning....

Is not the most fun you can have I will say. The people who run it are decent enough but the worse thing is the other people. Theres always one who thinks its his right to have a bit of a moan.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 18 March 2019, 09:43.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
      Take the course.
      I did it about 3 months ago. Boring but I did actually learn something.

Also I was told in the course you DONT have to inform your insurance company about taking the course.

A quick google also confirms this.
      Admiral insurance, for one, ask if you've attended the course. Not sure the legalities of this.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Admiral insurance, for one, ask if you've attended the course. Not sure the legalities of this.
        Are you now sure about the legalities of claiming job seekers allowance?

Comment

Why?
          half a day of my life is why.

I've done the course twice. And had many points over the years.
          If on no points I take the points.
          If on 3 points I do the course.
          If on 6 points I slow down as that's only one offence away from a totting ban.
          Never been on 9 points.
          Been on 12 points and that really slowed me down. Being on 12 points was the only time my insurance increased noticeably.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Get a quote from a price comparison site for both with and without the points. For me, the insurance for 1 year was more than the fine, so I did the course.

I dinged my car and was offered a course instead of getting a CD1 - driving wihtout due care and attention. The affect on my insurance was massive. Cheapest quote was about 2.5x more than last year and that was with a very high compulsory excess.

It was a full day and included going out and doing some actual driving with an instructor. Was a bit of a PITA, but worth it financially. Really, it's the kind of thing everyone should do to keep a licence. It's a bit ridiculous that you pass your test and don't every have to do anything again, despite the highway code and best driving practices being updated all the time.

If they ask you, it's fraud to give an incorrect answer. But there is no way they can tell currently if you have or not so the chances of them knowing this are slim to none.

You could also refuse to answer the question, don't proceed with the quote and take your business elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Are you now sure about the legalities of claiming job seekers allowance?

100% sure :-)

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post

It was a full day and included going out and doing some actual driving with an instructor. Was a bit of a PITA, but worth it financially. Really, it's the kind of thing everyone should do to keep a licence. It's a bit ridiculous that you pass your test and don't every have to do anything again, despite the highway code and best driving practices being updated all the time.

If you do a RoSPA Advanced Driver/Rider course/test it is only valid for 3 years (if you get Gold or Silver, Bronze is only valid for a year) so if you want to maintain the qualification and keep your insurance premiums down you have to keep taking a retest.

RoSPA Bike test is far more extensive than the ADM test ( which like your licence is valid forever once you pass. The RoSPA Bike test you are expected ( at Gold) to have achieved the standard required of a Police Motorcyclist - the handbook for the test is the Police Motorcyclist Handbook, and the examiner is either a Police Motorcyclist or possibly the local forces own motorcycle instructor. I think it is the similar for the RoSPA car test.

Comment

They can ask but there is no proof you have been on one. This was found out as some people have managed to do a couple in 3 years.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X