• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lorraine Kelly wins £1.2m tax case against HMRC over ITV work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
    Good for her.

I'm actually god's gift to C++, I merely portray the part of a beerswilling layabout for the benefit of the client.
    Funny that, 'coz I'm a beerswilling layabout, I merely portray the part of being God's gift to C++ for the benefit of my employer!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Oh, there's going to be a sudden flood of expertise into the country? My skills are suddenly no longer going to be required?
      No, but you can be easily replaced by any number of permie-tractors that can be supplied to your clients by any one of the "Big 4" consultancies.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
        No, but you can be easily replaced by any number of permie-tractors that can be supplied to your clients by any one of the "Big 4" consultancies.
        Doubt it. And why would they pay 3x - 5x the price, for tuliptier service, just to avoid a smidge of IR35 aggro?

Like I say, there aren't suddenly going to be magical extra people with my skillset around so I can't see why the market rate would suddenly plummet.

Comment

Doubt it. And why would they pay 3x - 5x the price, for tuliptier service, just to avoid a smidge of IR35 aggro?

Like I say, there aren't suddenly going to be magical extra people with my skillset around so I can't see why the market rate would suddenly plummet.
          Never under estimate the stupidity of HR.

I was having an argument with somebody yesterday who said that LK was on the fiddle because she used her own limited company that only the rich have access to and she should have been a sole trader. He then went on to say that there is no reason for anybody to user a limited company and that those who do are on the fiddle. So all self employed should be a sole trader.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

"And why would they pay 3x - 5x the price, for tuliptier service, just to avoid a smidge of IR35 aggro?"

Because it's significantly easier. And that "smidge of aggro" could be very costly to the company in terms of time and resource (and thus money) that it could very well mean that paying 3x -5x the price actually makes economical sense.

However, it isn't even going to be 3x - 5x the cost. With all of the IR35 aggro that will be caused to contractors by the changes, it means that your rates are going to have to go up, putting you much closer to the rate of the consultancies.

Unless you're telling me that you're fully prepared to absorb the increased taxation you'll be subjected to from your current rate and see your take home pay take a nosedive?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Yes, she had some form of right of substitution although ITV had the right to reject if unsuitable. It wasn't a key factor in the case.
              I see. That's that "sham" form of substitution, right?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                I see. That's that "sham" form of substitution, right?
                Yes, sounds like grounds for appeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Yes, sounds like grounds for appeal
                  Why? You only need to have one of the three main pillars in your defence. I don’t think even HMRC are dumb enough to think an appeal on the basis of a slightly fettered substitution clause would get anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    Never under estimate the stupidity of HR.

I was having an argument with somebody yesterday who said that LK was on the fiddle because she used her own limited company that only the rich have access to and she should have been a sole trader. He then went on to say that there is no reason for anybody to user a limited company and that those who do are on the fiddle. So all self employed should be a sole trader.
                    But so many do....
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      Why? You only need to have one of the three main pillars in your defence. I don’t think even HMRC are dumb enough to think an appeal on the basis of a slightly fettered substitution clause would get anywhere.
                      What is going to happen soon is new higher rate of corp tax for PSCs

Comment

Working...
                      X