• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partitioning an internal garage to create a home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    How did you insulate it?
    I paid some bloke who had a bunch of insulation "left over from another job". Basic insulation on the wall, plasterboard on top.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      We've just bought the house so have a list of all the restrictive covenants etc.
      what have the restrictive covenants got to do with it. Its about planning regulations. You can't just put up a building/change the function of part of your house just because you feel like it

HTH

Changing part of a house for homeworking purposes

The use of any part of a house for homeworking purposes may not need planning permission but this will depend on the scale and nature of the use. Check with your local planning office.

From the following web site

Home owners: Extensions, Alterations & Additions | Planning Portal

You may find this also useful

Man fined £1,750 for using garage as dwelling

Published on Fri, 7 Dec 2007

A man who was using a garage as a dwelling was fined £1,750 at Coleraine Magistrates’ Court on 7 December 2007 for failing to comply with planning notices.

Andrew Coulter, of Cottage Studios, Gortrush Industrial Estate, Great Northern Road, Omagh, had been required by the Planning Service to cease the use of a garage at Dhu-Varren Court, Portrush, as a dwelling and to carry out works to return the use of the building to a domestic garage.

Mr Coulter had previously been fined £500 on 7 July 2006 for non-compliance and today he received a further fine of £1750 plus £184 costs for a continuing offence.

The Planning Service brought this action under Article 67A of the Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991.
      Last edited by Yorkie62; 25 March 2019, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        what have the restrictive covenants got to do with it. Its about planning regulations. You can't just put up a building/change the function of part of your house just because you feel like it

HTH

Changing part of a house for homeworking purposes

The use of any part of a house for homeworking purposes may not need planning permission but this will depend on the scale and nature of the use. Check with your local planning office.

From the following web site

Home owners: Extensions, Alterations & Additions | Planning Portal

You may find this also useful

Man fined £1,750 for using garage as dwelling

Published on Fri, 7 Dec 2007

A man who was using a garage as a dwelling was fined £1,750 at Coleraine Magistrates’ Court on 7 December 2007 for failing to comply with planning notices.

Andrew Coulter, of Cottage Studios, Gortrush Industrial Estate, Great Northern Road, Omagh, had been required by the Planning Service to cease the use of a garage at Dhu-Varren Court, Portrush, as a dwelling and to carry out works to return the use of the building to a domestic garage.

Mr Coulter had previously been fined £500 on 7 July 2006 for non-compliance and today he received a further fine of £1750 plus £184 costs for a continuing offence.

The Planning Service brought this action under Article 67A of the Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991.
        I don't think quoting an isolated incident in NI over 12 years ago is really helpful. Seems a tad over the top.

All the advice I've seen on this says exactly the same as per this site although this one goes in to building regs as well as planning permission. Shouldn't be hard to not end up in the rather extreme situation you quote.

Planning Permission | Garage conversion | Planning Portal
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I don't think quoting an isolated incident in NI over 12 years ago is really helpful. Seems a tad over the top.

All the advice I've seen on this says exactly the same as per this site although this one goes in to building regs as well as planning permission. Shouldn't be hard to not end up in the rather extreme situation you quote.

Planning Permission | Garage conversion | Planning Portal
          I know its over 12 years ago but that is the only example a search on the planning portal threw up. The advice has to be talk to your local planning department. Just because Joe Bloggs down the road has done it and hasn't yet been prosecuted doesn't make it right or mean you won't. You can apply for pre planning advice, which doesn't cost much, and will give you an indicative view of your local council planning with regard to garage conversions.

I am in the process of putting up a new double garage double carport building and taking down an existing wooden building and replacing it with a larger workshop. I didn't need planning permission for either, but having been through the process of selling a house with numerous outbuildings/garages recently I know that the sellers conveyancer/solicitor will want proof of planning permission and building regs if appropriate, i.e. do you have power and lighting in the building then you must have building regs.

PS I did need building regs for both new building as they both have power and lighting off the main house on their own domestic board. You can have building regs applied on a building without having planning permission.
          Last edited by Yorkie62; 25 March 2019, 14:17.

Comment

i.e. do you have power and lighting in the building then you must have building regs.
            A little bit misleading...you don't need full building regs approval for outbuildings under a certain size. You do need to comply with Part P of building regs though for electrical installations, which in practice means getting an electrician who can self-certify their work under a Part P scheme (i.e. most of them).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              A little bit misleading...you don't need full building regs approval for outbuildings under a certain size. You do need to comply with Part P of building regs though for electrical installations, which in practice means getting an electrician who can self-certify their work under a Part P scheme (i.e. most of them).
              Ah, but it's not an outbuilding!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Ah, but it's not an outbuilding!
                Nope

I am hoping being part of the actual building will make insulating easier
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Is the external wall shared - (party wall) if so there are additional requirements.

The number of highway parking spaces is irrelevant - to remove a garage the council will normally expect you to have sufficient space for suitable number of cars on your own property.
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    Is the external wall shared - (party wall) if so there are additional requirements.

The number of highway parking spaces is irrelevant - to remove a garage the council will normally expect you to have sufficient space for suitable number of cars on your own property.
                    No shared wall, it's a fully detached house, no parking issues as we have an unadopted road to park on away from the public highway
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

How does that work with these new garages that are clearly not design to house a car? And normally the parking spot is in front of the garage as per Simon's house so the garage surely can't be counted as a parking space?

I can't see this making any difference with the new properties designed as they are. The garage has nothing to do with cars anymore.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X