• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partitioning an internal garage to create a home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    How does that work with these new garages that are clearly not design to house a car? And normally the parking spot is in front of the garage as per Simon's house so the garage surely can't be counted as a parking space?

I can't see this making any difference with the new properties designed as they are. The garage has nothing to do with cars anymore.
    They may not be designed for a car but they fit a motorcycle, or two, perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Ah, but it's not an outbuilding!
      True, but either way Part P of building regs for electrical installations will always apply. Some things are notifiable, some are not.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        How does that work with these new garages that are clearly not design to house a car? And normally the parking spot is in front of the garage as per Simon's house so the garage surely can't be counted as a parking space?

I can't see this making any difference with the new properties designed as they are. The garage has nothing to do with cars anymore.

Because the building regs were written when we all drove smaller cars!

The garage + the space in front is "on paper" 2 parking spaces which (I think) is the minimum needed for a 3 bed new build

Parking requirements in regulations are well behind the times which is why every new build development is a nightmare to drive around as a car parking space will not generate as much return as built upon land.

Councils have started to realise this so with extensions & conversions they tend to impose local council requirements on the planning approval.
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          Because the building regs were written when we all drove smaller cars!

The garage + the space in front is "on paper" 2 parking spaces which (I think) is the minimum needed for a 3 bed new build

Parking requirements in regulations are well behind the times which is why every new build development is a nightmare to drive around as a car parking space will not generate as much return as built upon land.

Councils have started to realise this so with extensions & conversions they tend to impose local council requirements on the planning approval.
          Blimey I didn't know that. What a fudge that is. No way in hell is a garage with a parking space in front really two spaces. Interesting.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X