• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car hire with old paper license

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car hire with old paper license

Has anyone hired a car in the UK using an old school paper license recently, and if so did you have any problem in doing so?

I've got to hire a hire for the first time in years next week and notice there's some DVLA code some people have to apply for but everything I've read in connection with that mentions the paper counterpart to the photo license, not the older paper only license I've got.

Originally posted by ittony View Post
    Has anyone hired a car in the UK using an old school paper license recently, and if so did you have any problem in doing so?

I've got to hire a hire for the first time in years next week and notice there's some DVLA code some people have to apply for but everything I've read in connection with that mentions the paper counterpart to the photo license, not the older paper only license I've got.
    Dunno. Why not plastic card license?

As for the DVLA code, I forgot the other week. Car hire place just phoned DVLA when I was there, put me on to give permission to tell them, sorted.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Edit: I was wrong, sorry - got confused with having to destroy the paper counterpart.
      Last edited by vwdan; 5 April 2019, 10:12.

Comment

I assume the DVLA code is this:

View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK

It's a print out to show what points you have on your licences
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Dunno. Why not plastic card license?
          Errr, because I haven't got one. They didn't exist when I passed my test.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          As for the DVLA code, I forgot the other week. Car hire place just phoned DVLA when I was there, put me on to give permission to tell them, sorted.
          That's good to know, thanks. Can you remember what you had to tell them to identify yourself? Did you have to give your NI number like on the web form?

Comment

That's good to know, thanks. Can you remember what you had to tell them to identify yourself? Did you have to give your NI number like on the web form?
            Just click the link above, on the first page it tells you what information you need to provide.

Comment

yes and no, I've always had a passport in my back pocket in case they want photo id, but none of them ever asked for it

Comment

Errr, because I haven't got one. They didn't exist when I passed my test.

Are you sure your license has not expired then ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

As long as the address details printed on the license are still correct, then it’s still valid.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

They don't expire but they encourage you gently to get a new one as it isn't photo ID.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X