• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of the word GAmmon is a racist slur

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fairness, I have been very politely* asked to add the word gammon to the list of banned words on this forum. Now, we don't have such a list - it's in the flawed, arbitrary and often partial judgement of the moderators. But clearly it's a bit of a trigger for one or maybe even two members, so since we don't want any more than necessary, perhaps it would be kind to reduce the usage?

* Not very politely at all. Apparently some people feel that calling the person you want something from a "****head" is a sound negotiating strategy.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      One opinion piece does not form an argument.

The logical fallacy is in the piece here:

It doesn't apply to whites only, or to all whites, or to white Christians.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Even if it were an insulting term that only applied to white people, that would no more make it a racist term than are 'Uncle Tom', 'house negro' or 'self hating Jew'.

Political argument can be insulting on the Internet, and delicate petals should find somewhere more suitable.

Comment

TRIGGER WARNING: G word

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        In fairness, I have been very politely* asked to add the word gammon to the list of banned words on this forum. Now, we don't have such a list - it's in the flawed, arbitrary and often partial judgement of the moderators. But clearly it's a bit of a trigger for one or maybe even two members, so since we don't want any more than necessary, perhaps it would be kind to reduce the usage?
        It's political correctness gone gammon. I will compromise by adding a trigger warning to posts.
        Last edited by Old Greg; 7 April 2019, 10:17.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          And I guess that the same rule goes for ‘snowflake’?

I’m a bit confused now...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Would this be a bad time to call OG a gammonflake?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              there's Never a bad time for that

Comment

No. It's the perfect time.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Insults that are used by fascists are protected speech.

Comment

It's always a good time if it makes you feel better about your inadequacies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Insults that are used by fascists gammons are protected speech.
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X