• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of the word GAmmon is a racist slur

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    * Not very politely at all. Apparently some people feel that calling the person you want something from a "****head" is a sound negotiating strategy.
    Sounds plausible.

Mother****er might be a tad extreme.

This thread seems to be flake central but there you go.

And here we go, A Flake advert with a little Zeity in it:

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 April 2019, 12:58.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

We all know what gammon refers to. If someone called me a gammon I would think they are a moron and I would probably be right.

Comment

Calling someone a gammon isn't referring to them as a pig. It's referring to their faces going red and resembling a slice of gammon when they get angry.
        Indeed....

Comment

Maybe we should revert back to "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells"
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            We all know what gammon refers to. If someone called me a gammon I would think they are a moron and I would probably be right.
            Ditto snowflake...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Or Colonel Blimp.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Or Mrs Trellis of North Wales.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Or Mrs Trellis of North Wales.
                  'outraged of Esher' ?

Comment

Can we get a new emoticon then?

Comment

In fairness, I have been very politely* asked to add the word gammon to the list of banned words on this forum. Now, we don't have such a list - it's in the flawed, arbitrary and often partial judgement of the moderators. But clearly it's a bit of a trigger for one or maybe even two members, so since we don't want any more than necessary, perhaps it would be kind to reduce the usage?

* Not very politely at all. Apparently some people feel that calling the person you want something from a "****head" is a sound negotiating strategy.
                      When we going to add "Lefty", "Snowflake" and "Remaoner" to the (non) list

Just joking .... I really don't give 2 flying hoots if someone calls me any of these names. I do feel for the poor gammons though, they need protecting, there are only 17.4m of them
                      Last edited by Whorty; 7 April 2019, 17:54.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X