• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CDLXXXIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CDLXXXIV

Long grind until Easter this year, isn't it? Might as well pass the time reading stuff like this rather than doing anything useful:
    • Sandy Fawkes: The Reporter and The Serial Killer - ”In 1974, a British journalist met a stranger at a hotel bar and agreed to a road trip. She wanted to see America.” And that's how a Daily Express reporter came to unwittingly spend several days travelling with serial killer Paul John Knowles

• Animal Photo Art References Search - Sounds bland, but AFAIK this is the only search engine that allows you to find pictures of animals by skull orientation

• The Decades-long Struggle to Draw a Realistic Black Hole - ”We’re probably going to get our very first actual picture of a black hole next week. Researchers with the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) have scheduled a press conference for the morning of April 10, and they’re expected to unveil an image of a supermassive black hole… We have a pretty good idea of what a black hole might look like. The reality, however, is that we don’t actually have any confirmation. As EHT member Katie Bouman puts it in a TEDx talk, there could be an elephant at the center of our galaxy for all we know.” Even the one in Interstellar was deliberately changed from the predictions of physics to make it look “better”.

• Pattern in Islamic Art - Pretty, non-representative art: ”This website offers an archive of over 4000 images of patterns and other design features drawn from the rich cultural heritage of the Islamic world. Historically, the decorative arts have always formed a major part of Islamic aesthetic expression. Its remarkable achievements in this direction (much of which are represented here) make it an invaluable resource for designers of all kinds as well as for art-historians and art-lovers generally.”

• 50 years of RFCs - ”Fifty years ago today, on April 7th, 1969, Steve Crocker published a document that would come to be known as RFC-1. Crocker was working on a piece of the ARPA Network, or ARPANET… Crocker decided to document what people were thinking and what people had come to tentative agreements on. RFC-1 is this documentation.” 50 years yesterday now, time being what it is, but RFCs are still the foundation of how the workings of the Internet are defined. Darius Kazemi is reading one a day in 2019, so here’s his writeup of RFC-1 from the start of the year. And of course the (originally typewritten) document is now available on the current version of the network whose operations it sought to explain, and there’s a PDF of scans of original copies of the early RFCs at the Computer History Museum.

• Museum of the Soviet Synths - Soviet synthesisers, presumably inspiring bands such as Old Woman Cleaning The Metro Army and Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Caspian. This is a Faemi-1M: ”A polyphonic analog synthesizer Faemi - 1M (Kachkanarsky radiofactory) has a keyboard of 4 octaves. Main generator, infralow frequency generator, lowpass filter, amplifier are in the basis of the synthesis in this instrument. The control panel is divided into 5 sections: generator, timbre, vibrato, filter, amplifier.”

• How BioWare's Anthem Went Wrong - The games industry was pretty idiotic when I worked in it thirty years ago, and things don’t seem to have improved much: ”Very few things went right in the development of BioWare’s latest game, an online cooperative shooter that was first teased in mid-2012 but spent years floundering in pre-production. Many features weren’t finalized or implemented until the very final months, and to some who worked on the project, it wasn’t even clear what kind of game Anthem even was.”

• New Giant Viruses Further Blur the Definition of Life - ”A newfound pair of giant viruses have massive genomes and the most complete resources for building proteins ever seen in the viral world. They have refreshed the debate about the origins of these parasites.”

• Iconic consoles of the IBM System/360 mainframes, 55 years old today - Yesterday wasn’t only the 50th anniversary of the RFC, but also the 55th anniversary of the iconic IBM computer. In its honour, Ken Shirriff offers a detailed guide to the operator consoles of the various models, aka Das Blinkenlights: ”You might wonder why these computers had such complex consoles. There were three main uses for the console. The first use was basic ‘operator control’ tasks such as turning the system on, booting it, or powering it off… The second console function was ‘operator intervention’: program debugging tasks such as examining and modifying memory or registers and setting breakpoints… The third console function was supporting system maintenance and repair performed by an IBM customer engineer. The customer engineering displays took up most of the console and provided detailed access to the computer's complex internal state.”

• Memory of the Netherlands: The Collection of the Dobbelman Soap and Detergent factory in Nijmegen from 1807-1998 - The National Library of the Netherlands brings you that gallery of Dutch soap wrappers you’ve been waiting for

Happy invoicing!
    Last edited by NickFitz; 8 April 2019, 11:53. Reason: Typo

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    • Iconic consoles of the IBM System/360 mainframes, 55 years old today - Yesterday wasn’t only the 50th anniversary of the RFC, but also the 55th anniversary of the iconic IBM computer. In its honour, Ken Shirriff offers a detailed guide to the operator consoles of the various models, aka Das Blinkenlights: ”You might wonder why these computers had such complex consoles. There were three main uses for the console. The first use was basic ‘operator control’ tasks such as turning the system on, booting it, or powering it off… The second console function was ‘operator intervention’: program debugging tasks such as examining and modifying memory or registers and setting breakpoints… The third console function was supporting system maintenance and repair performed by an IBM customer engineer. The customer engineering displays took up most of the console and provided detailed access to the computer's complex internal state.”

Happy invoicing!
    There is one of those on the wall outside my office in Washington along with a System 370 front panel and some other 360 and 370 stuff. In my office there is an IBM card punch which still works. At the IBM research lab in Böblingen they have a very interesting museum, sadly not open to the general public, but I can get in as I built one of the system there but they have a working 360 and a working replica Hollerith (I'll have to dig out the videós and photos I have sometime)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      There is one of those on the wall outside my office in Washington along with a System 370 front panel and some other 360 and 370 stuff. In my office there is an IBM card punch which still works. At the IBM research lab in Böblingen they have a very interesting museum, sadly not open to the general public, but I can get in as I built one of the system there but they have a working 360 and a working replica Hollerith (I'll have to dig out the videós and photos I have sometime)
      Looks like you were struggling with your console when quoting there...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Looks like you were struggling with your console when quoting there...
        Yes, I was wondering why they had an old Dutch shampoo wrapper on the wall in Washington

Comment

Yes, I was wondering why they had an old Dutch shampoo wrapper on the wall in Washington
          If there was it would make a good Monday link!

Comment

•Animal Photo Art References Search - Sounds bland, but AFAIK this is the only search engine that allows you to find pictures of animals by skull orientation
            Just had a play with this and it's a very cool idea. I didn't get many results and they all seemed to be reptiles whatever skull I chose but a lot of sites are blocked here so maybe it will work better at home. Still very cool if you are looking for something really specific.

Direction: (skull type dose not affect search results)
            I think I'll point out some improvements and see if I can get a mention on his page as well

Maybe his next project could be the same for humans, including their posture, i.e. sitting standing, and also what they are wearing. Make it easy to find those pictures of insanely good looking people with neon white teeth for business websites.

Comment

I now understand, the other laptop didn't show the images. Doh! Found some images:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

For some reason I can imagine NF using them

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  For some reason I can imagine NF using them
                  Started on one of these at school:

Comment

Can't wait for 29th July 2019.

BTW why does Monday links start at volume 2?

Comment

Working...
                    X