• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ULEZ only rich people can drive in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benny View Post
    This is the way of all taxes, get the charge in and accepted, then steadily raise the threshold so more vehicles are caught - at what point would you protest?
    I wouldn't. It seems to me a perfectly reasonable approach to tackling congestion and pollution.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I wouldn't. It seems to me a perfectly reasonable approach to tackling congestion and pollution.
      Its one way. I don't like poor people being punished more than the rich. I prefer a ban.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        But a £3K Ford Mondeo with a 3L engine doesn't even need to pay:

FY52FPT Silver FORD MONDEO ST220

No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle

This vehicle meets the emission standards for ULEZ so you don't have to pay this charge when driving within the zone.
        No LEZ charge due for this vehicle

This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from the scheme or is subject to a 100% discount.

Can you not afford a 17 year old Mondeo?

Or it's got fake plates so some other poor bugger gets the fines...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
          So Mr Khan is delighted to be charging an extra £12.50 per day to drive in London with the new ULEZ. Fail to pay and its a £160 fine, but better than lorries who have to pay £100 per day and if they fail to do so a £1000 fine So not only can people not afford to live in London they also can't afford to drive in London and I guess taxi fares and so forth are all going up because of this. Will ULEZ see the death of the town centre or is this a ploy to make overpriced electric vehicles look affordable?
          Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure my chauffeur is aware.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            It changes neither. Nobody drives any kind of vehicle in central London for a laugh, they drive a vehicle in central London because they have no choice.
            But it does bring in a shedload of cash. I wonder if that might have been the real motivation...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              It changes neither. Nobody drives any kind of vehicle in central London for a laugh, they drive a vehicle in central London because they have no choice.
              But it does bring in a shedload of cash. I wonder if that might have been the real motivation...
              <------- look over there....

It it could be because. | Time
              More than 2 million Londoners live in areas with illegal air pollution,
              I live nearish the North circular but not anywhere particularly busy, however, when I step outside in the morning I can taste the air. That.is.not.a.good.thing.
              Last edited by jds 1981; 9 April 2019, 13:54.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                But a £3K Ford Mondeo with a 3L engine doesn't even need to pay:

FY52FPT Silver FORD MONDEO ST220

No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle

This vehicle meets the emission standards for ULEZ so you don't have to pay this charge when driving within the zone.
                No LEZ charge due for this vehicle

This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from the scheme or is subject to a 100% discount.

Can you not afford a 17 year old Mondeo?

A bit of a crappy car though

Repair immediately (major defects):
                Nearside Headlamp not working on main beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))
                Front Brake disc significantly and obviously worn (1.1.14 (a) (i))
                Nearside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
                Offside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  A bit of a crappy car though

Repair immediately (major defects):
                  Nearside Headlamp not working on main beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))
                  Front Brake disc significantly and obviously worn (1.1.14 (a) (i))
                  Nearside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
                  Offside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
                  I'm getting it fixed soon, when funds allow.

Comment

Working...
                  X