• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life on the Bench - An unemployed contractors story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    ITJobsWatch says:

Oracle Applications Developer £377

Are you in an especially high-earning area then? I am but I can never seem to make even what ITJobsWatch says is the average for my skills.

Or maybe I'm just not asking enough....
    you may not be getting that much but I am sure your agent is getting top rates.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
      you may not be getting that much but I am sure your agent is getting top rates.
      To clarify, my skills are Siebel rather than Oracle Apps. But yes, I suspect this is so.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
        I do the same with SAP, same scam performed by the sales people but our 550 has been whittled away to 350-450 and the amount of overseas people means it never creeps back up again. I would of thought the Indian consultancies would be churning out Oracle developers but obviously not.
        rootsnall - that sounds low... there are certain agencies who would like you to believe that this is the case though. I've seen a whole bunch of re-shoring projects recently. Stick to your guns and you can top those rates.

Comment

Exactly - stick to your guns because you know what you are worth.

A couple of agencies recently advertised a contract in my skillset and when they called me they asked my rate and I said the usual amount £x. They then said Oh the client can only offer 300 (the other agency said 285). So that was end of it.

I then spoke to said client direct cuz I know them anyway, and then are offering me £x without too much bother.

Now £x is nearly 2 times what the agencies were offering, so imagine what they must be screwing contractors for!

Another problem I find is that a lot of contractors in my field just accept the advertised rate. This is often £x - 100 and I can't be arsed to walk from here for that. So I ask for full amount £x and yet somehow I still get the interviews and jobs.

I got this contract at £x even though it was advertised at £x - 200 ! They liked me in the interview, and I stuck to my required rate, and all's well.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else, just that there's no need to undersell yourself. Often clients will want the best person out there, not the cheapest.

P.S. If you can work out what £x is then I'll buy you dinner (if you're a girl and won't tell my wife).

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            Exactly - stick to your guns because you know what you are worth.

A couple of agencies recently advertised a contract in my skillset and when they called me they asked my rate and I said the usual amount £x. They then said Oh the client can only offer 300 (the other agency said 285). So that was end of it.

I then spoke to said client direct cuz I know them anyway, and then are offering me £x without too much bother.

Now £x is nearly 2 times what the agencies were offering, so imagine what they must be screwing contractors for!

Another problem I find is that a lot of contractors in my field just accept the advertised rate. This is often £x - 100 and I can't be arsed to walk from here for that. So I ask for full amount £x and yet somehow I still get the interviews and jobs.

I got this contract at £x even though it was advertised at £x - 200 ! They liked me in the interview, and I stuck to my required rate, and all's well.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else, just that there's no need to undersell yourself. Often clients will want the best person out there, not the cheapest.

P.S. If you can work out what £x is then I'll buy you dinner (if you're a girl and won't tell my wife).

£550!!!
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
              £550!!!
              Anything for a hot meal eh SA?!

But no, I'm not that cheap young lady.... close tho.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
                Anything for a hot meal eh SA?!

But no, I'm not that cheap young lady.... close tho.

tulip, i am in the wrong technology!

I started a contract on the basis that the amount will go up after a month cos I asked for more initially. Difference/shortfall would be about £80 per day. After 2 months I asked the agency and was told the person whoi got me the contract has left and that did I get this deal in writing !

I know the client is paying them a lot more cos its investment banking, but I agreed with the initial rate cos It meant me back in the city and close to home.

Now I dont know if to tell the Agency, I dont want a renewal and start looking elsewhere. I dont know if I should get aggressive with them. I cant stomach the idea of beign rippped off

Should I ask the client what they are paying?.

css_jay99

Comment

I always check with client hr/manager about the rates. You can't believe those slimy agents. Can you ?

Comment

Jay

Depends, for e.g., on how long you're contracted for. You could try looking for another contract on a rate you're happy with. Or even just tell the agency that you're not happy and will be leaving soon to get another contract paying much more - you could try bluff it but I would suggest actually going and getting another contract (I know it's not always that easy tho).

I did same as you - was on more money outside of London but accepted a slightly lower rate to get back home and work in the city. However I was still happy with the rate and also it meant that I didn't have the usual expense of hotels etc.

£80 a day is a lot of money. The agency will not want to lose their commission from you so I would play hardball - but this is best done by finding another contract ASAP and being prepared to walk.

Comment

Working...
                    X