• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Spoilers] Game Of Thrones -Season Eight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    for a dead king thousands of years old he could have planned his invasion a bit better. He was always going to have numbers and time on his hands.
    That's what many are finding frustrating, the lack of depth to the Night King. He never even had a word to say so the only explanation for his motives came from Bran.

He was more interesting while stuck north of the wall. Once through his plan was just to steamroller over all life he encountered, probably not even interested in Kings Landing and the iron throne other than it being another focal point to attack.

His weakness, other than being a bit fragile when stuck with a certain type of blade, was focusing too much on the three-eyed raven, giving the defenders a strategic advantage and ultimately their plan worked, though at a high price in terms of human sacrifice.

So if that is all he had to offer (and some are saying they've short-changed us to hold back the interesting material around the NK mythology for a potential prequel) then glad he's out of the way. Even Cersei makes for a more interesting 'bad guy'.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      They should have split it over two episodes and shown the main characters doing more. They could have ended the first episode with the heros repelling the first attack and Jon burning the Night King on a dragon outside the castle. Everyone could cheer and then you hear the cheers fade as the NK is unharmed and then see everyones reaction as he raises the dead, all of them inside and outside the castle.
      In fairness all the episode had was the battle and effects, there wasn't enough plot for one episode let alone two!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        That's what many are finding frustrating, the lack of depth to the Night King. He never even had a word to say so the only explanation for his motives came from Bran.

He was more interesting while stuck north of the wall. Once through his plan was just to steamroller over all life he encountered, probably not even interested in Kings Landing and the iron throne other than it being another focal point to attack.

His weakness, other than being a bit fragile when stuck with a certain type of blade, was focusing too much on the three-eyed raven, giving the defenders a strategic advantage and ultimately their plan worked, though at a high price in terms of human sacrifice.

So if that is all he had to offer (and some are saying they've short-changed us to hold back the interesting material around the NK mythology for a potential prequel) then glad he's out of the way. Even Cersei makes for a more interesting 'bad guy'.
        I've read the books though I can barely remember much now, the series is more prevalent in my mind now. But I believe that the NK is not mentioned in the books (i could be wrong) and was an invention by the script writers to give some kind of focus.

I did think the claustrophobic battle scene was pretty good, but yep I could have done with a few people actually dying and dying properly, not in some kind of last stand fighting hundred of walkers.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode. Yes there are massive plot holes, but honestly I think people (book fans, of which I am one) are over-analysing this. Expecting the same level of depth from a TV show with limited runtime to finish the story compared to long and detailed books is expecting far too much.

I think it's clear that once they realised that the books would be nowhere complete in time for them to wrap the story up properly that they had to simplify it greatly and do their best to resolve it in the number of seasons they had left. Even if the book material had been completed it would have required several more seasons to do it justice.

Personally I'm happy that the show has diverged greatly from the books even if they reach an ultimately similar conclusion. It means the TV show spoils much less of the last two books (if we ever get them) and I can enjoy the books as the true conclusion to the story and enjoy the TV show for what it is.

Comment

From what I've read about why GRRM hasn't got round to finishing the books, is that he has painted himself into a corner with certain characters being bumped off already and them now being needed, so he's having to rework the story to make it fit his overall goal.

Sounds like he's been writing it 'Lost' style as he goes along, which seems bonkers for something so intricate in detail where an overall skeleton script would have allowed him to know which characters were needed throughout. So I don't necessarily expect his full story will be significantly better than the shortcutted TV show. If it is then there's at least opportunity to remake the show some years down the line faithful to his books if it warrants it. By then the production cost will be much less as photo realistic CGI rendering in real-time will be a piece of cake so they'll be able to cover it with as many episodes as it takes to do it justice.

I think some part of why they seem to be rushing to finish the show is that it's been going on for 8 years so needs wrapping up while the actors are still available and their fees are manageable. Apparently episode 3 cost £15 million to make. Doesn't seem much what with all the special effects so may be under-estimated. The cast wage bill must have been a significant part of that if they pay all of the recognisable extras.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              In fairness all the episode had was the battle and effects, there wasn't enough plot for one episode let alone two!
              Yeah but they could have developed more plot if they were not under such time pressure to finish the battle in one episode.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Yeah but they could have developed more plot if they were not under such time pressure to finish the battle in one episode.
                Yep. Could have used the burning trench as a breather holding the undead at bay until it died down and add more depth to individual character stories inside the castle with set pieces as the undead burst through and when the White Walkers came in. The White Walker generals in particular were disappointingly under used, they did absolutely nothing.

Barely saw anything of Jaime, Brienne, Tormund, Sam, Gendry, Podric, and the others defending the walls other than them being swamped but somehow surviving, multiple times.

As a spectacle the episode is fantastic but storywise I can see why many are underwhelmed.

Comment

how did the most unpredictable TV series ever, spend so much money on such a predictable episode?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    how did the most unpredictable TV series ever, spend so much money on such a predictable episode?
                    Was it predictable?

Most people were predicting Jon would save the day and that some big names would be killed off because that's what GoT does. Neither of these things happened.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      Was it predictable?

Most people were predicting Jon would save the day and that some big names would be killed off because that's what GoT does. Neither of these things happened.
                      I didn't read what other people were predicting.

Arya killing the NK has been on the cards since she got that knife. I thought, no, it can't be that predictable.
                      Not killing off some big names lacks imagination as well. If George RR had written it I'm sure it would have some twists and turns.
                      Oh. Let's go and hide in the crypt when we're going to be attacked by a Zombie master was just silly and unimaginative.

The only real surprise was the lack of surprises.

I've not been so disappointed since Lost season 6.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X