• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you doing to save the Planet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the lights in the house are CFL not these new fangled LED things which blow up far too regularly.

Other than the halogen security lights amounting to about 3kW and the 100W bulb over the freezer in the Salting House and the 120W halogen over the etch tank in the shed.

And the two 15W bulbs in the refrigerators and the bulb in the fan oven.

All of which pales in comparison with the consumption of the dehumidifiers.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      joking aside all the lights in the house are now led's

not sure if it is saving money
      The energy saving is not as great as is made out. The heat produced by filament bulbs is only wasted in the summer months, but then you don't have the lights on much anyway. In the winter, when the lights are on a lot, the heat reduces the amount the C/H is on. Also, electric heating is more environmentally friendly than having your own gas or oil boiler.

Cost aside, it would be more environmentally friendly to heat your house with filament light bulbs. Obviously, you'd need to wear sunglasses all the time though.

NB. only around 2% of the energy, consumed by filament light bulbs, produces light; the other 98% is heat.
      Last edited by stonehenge; 16 April 2019, 11:35.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I have five kids, I have already done more (future) damage to the planet so hugging a penguin won't balance out my selfishness
        Assuming that you're not a feckless father on a sink estate, rather some kind of professional, the chances are that you're benefiting the planet by enriching the human gene pool. Have you not seen Idiocracy (or read The Marching Morons)?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          My car is 15 years old and I've had it for 11. Manage about 2k miles a year at most. I will (a) replace it when I can afford an Aston Martin or (b) get rid of it when it fails an MOT and is beyond economical repair. I keep thinking about selling it but never get around to it. Anyone want a 2-owner, low mileage, Nissan 350z?

I do throw away a lot of fresh food because I'm rubbish at cooking and have good ideas but poor execution. I can bake a cake well but that's not good for the size of my arse.

I recycle as far as my local council will accept.

I buy what I need when I need it and will repair rather than replace where possible. Have just mended a favourite jumper this morning!

I haven't had children so, once I'm dead, I won't give a toss what state the country/planet is in.
          Classic, becoming sought after cars and values going up.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Assuming that you're not a feckless father on a sink estate, rather some kind of professional, the chances are that you're benefiting the planet by enriching the human gene pool. Have you not seen Idiocracy (or read The Marching Morons)?
            Idiocracy is a great documentary!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              Classic, becoming sought after cars and values going up.
              They are? Oh! Maybe I should garage it instead of badly parking it against high curbs...

Comment

I don't commute.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What am I doing to save the planet........

In the autumn I will be planting a 210 tree wooded area on my land, thanks to the woodland trusts offer of 105 native trees for less than £100.

Comment

I'm keeping quiet about my collection of Cobalt Thorium G and Doomsday weapons down in the garage.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Was that taken from the defense of that artificial inseminator who fathered 75 kids? Lucky they found out or his kids could have married by accident.

Comment

Working...
                      X