What are you doing to save the Planet? What are you doing to save the Planet? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 31 to 40 of 84

Fingers like lightning

stonehenge 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Good on you having an old car. What is not realised by many people is that the manufacturing of a new car uses more energy and creates more pollution than does the fuel consumption in the life of the car.
    Cars seem to last a lot longer these days. Back in the 70s, you'd be lucky if a car didn't rust to bits in 5 years, and reliability was shocking.

The only problem with the latest models is they are crammed with so much more stuff to go wrong. On some cars, there seems to be a sensor for everything.

Super poster

DoctorStrangelove - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
    Cars seem to last a lot longer these days. Back in the 70s, you'd be lucky if a car didn't rust to bits in 5 years, and reliability was shocking.

The only problem with the latest models is they are crammed with so much more stuff to go wrong. On some cars, there seems to be a sensor for everything.
    Rust used to kill cars, now the electronics does it instead.

There's a limit to the number of £600 black boxes you can afford to replace.

Especially since the testing apparatus is driven by know nothing monkeys and costs £100+ just to get it connected whether or not it actually reveals what the fault might be.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Fingers like lightning

stonehenge 's job has never been outsourced

My 12-year old Audi indicates faults where there aren't any. It's forever coming up with a taillight bulb warning.

Super poster

quackhandle is NOT a disguised employee

I reuse my plastic fork from Pret.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

Fingers like lightning

Big Blue Plymouth is NOT a disguised employee

I recycle most recyclable stuff so long as it's easy to clean otherwise it's in the bin.

Also I don't bother with the food bin. They are definitely not vermin proof. Mine could have walked down the garden path on it's own last summer

Fingers like lightning

GJABS is NOT a disguised employee

Meh, I don't think it should be up to individual people to take actions to "save the planet", because it is inherently unfair given that some people will do more than others. Instead, governments should facilitate the resolution of the problem by taxing non-green stuff more highly than green stuff, and let the free market do the rest.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

We don’t have kids
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Godlike

BR14 is a fount of knowledge

F**k all.
    ***** the planet, - and all the people who infest it.
    *****'em all

Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    There's a limit to the number of £600 black boxes you can afford to replace.
    Not if you're cut out to be a real contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    We don’t have kids
    For which we're all thankful.
    "Boom! Boom!" - B. Brush

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    I don't commute.

soon we will be 'agile working' = coding in my pants 2 days a week!

Nice old car driving less miles so I am an eco warrior not a tight fisted old tart

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-ecofriendly/

A 2004 analysis by Toyota found that as much as 28 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions generated during the lifecycle of a typical gasoline-powered car can occur during its manufacture and its transportation to the dealer; the remaining emissions occur during driving once its new owner takes possession. An earlier study by Seikei University in Japan put the pre-purchase number at 12 percent.
    Is This the Most Eco-Friendly Car Innovation Since the Hybrid? | TreeHugger

According to Sabertec, which developed Blade, the gadget can reduce vehicle air pollution up to 57 percent and greenhouse gases up to 34 percent while increasing fuel economy up to five miles per gallon in lab testing. Here's the direct quote: "If every car and light truck in American had a Blade, drivers would save over $42 billion per year, and the nation's total greenhouse gas reduction would be equivalent to removing roughly 50 million cars from the road."

goodness knows why the UK government doesn't encourage such stuff. ELV subsidising such a device would save tons of pollution.

highly insulated house looking to add HRV.

Most building work is done with reclaimed materials.

Led lights everywhere, 10% of the energy and instant on without mercury.I like them.

Get yourself a slow cooker, before the food starts to turn, make soups galore and pop in the freezer. Lunch is free, healthy and very tasty. It even keeps on your desk during the day.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.