• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you doing to save the Planet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Good on you having an old car. What is not realised by many people is that the manufacturing of a new car uses more energy and creates more pollution than does the fuel consumption in the life of the car.
    Cars seem to last a lot longer these days. Back in the 70s, you'd be lucky if a car didn't rust to bits in 5 years, and reliability was shocking.

The only problem with the latest models is they are crammed with so much more stuff to go wrong. On some cars, there seems to be a sensor for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
      Cars seem to last a lot longer these days. Back in the 70s, you'd be lucky if a car didn't rust to bits in 5 years, and reliability was shocking.

The only problem with the latest models is they are crammed with so much more stuff to go wrong. On some cars, there seems to be a sensor for everything.
      Rust used to kill cars, now the electronics does it instead.

There's a limit to the number of £600 black boxes you can afford to replace.

Especially since the testing apparatus is driven by know nothing monkeys and costs £100+ just to get it connected whether or not it actually reveals what the fault might be.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

My 12-year old Audi indicates faults where there aren't any. It's forever coming up with a taillight bulb warning.

Comment

I reuse my plastic fork from Pret.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I recycle most recyclable stuff so long as it's easy to clean otherwise it's in the bin.

Also I don't bother with the food bin. They are definitely not vermin proof. Mine could have walked down the garden path on it's own last summer

Comment

Meh, I don't think it should be up to individual people to take actions to "save the planet", because it is inherently unfair given that some people will do more than others. Instead, governments should facilitate the resolution of the problem by taxing non-green stuff more highly than green stuff, and let the free market do the rest.

Comment

We don’t have kids
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

F**k all.
                  ***** the planet, - and all the people who infest it.
                  *****'em all

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    There's a limit to the number of £600 black boxes you can afford to replace.
                    Not if you're cut out to be a real contractor.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    We don’t have kids
                    For which we're all thankful.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      I don't commute.

soon we will be 'agile working' = coding in my pants 2 days a week!

Nice old car driving less miles so I am an eco warrior not a tight fisted old tart

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-ecofriendly/

A 2004 analysis by Toyota found that as much as 28 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions generated during the lifecycle of a typical gasoline-powered car can occur during its manufacture and its transportation to the dealer; the remaining emissions occur during driving once its new owner takes possession. An earlier study by Seikei University in Japan put the pre-purchase number at 12 percent.
                      Is This the Most Eco-Friendly Car Innovation Since the Hybrid? | TreeHugger

According to Sabertec, which developed Blade, the gadget can reduce vehicle air pollution up to 57 percent and greenhouse gases up to 34 percent while increasing fuel economy up to five miles per gallon in lab testing. Here's the direct quote: "If every car and light truck in American had a Blade, drivers would save over $42 billion per year, and the nation's total greenhouse gas reduction would be equivalent to removing roughly 50 million cars from the road."

goodness knows why the UK government doesn't encourage such stuff. ELV subsidising such a device would save tons of pollution.

highly insulated house looking to add HRV.

Most building work is done with reclaimed materials.

Led lights everywhere, 10% of the energy and instant on without mercury.I like them.

Get yourself a slow cooker, before the food starts to turn, make soups galore and pop in the freezer. Lunch is free, healthy and very tasty. It even keeps on your desk during the day.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X