• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you doing to save the Planet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you doing to save the Planet?

[VIRTUE SIGNALLING]
    We don't buy more food than we need. We hardly ever throw any food away.
    We only have one car (petrol), and do less than 2000 miles per year. We only replace it about every 10 years.
    We only travel by plane every few years.
    We recycle. Not as religiously as some but we do a bit.
    We only put out one medium refuse bag a week.
    We don't consume much. Only buying what we need, and only replacing stuff when it's knackered or beyond repair. (eg. I'm still using a 16-year old Nokia 6310i)
    [/VIRTUE SIGNALLING]

Our only real bad is oil fired central heating, but the house is well insulated.

Of course, if everyone was like us, the economy would be totally down the toilet.

Only one car and use what we buy with very little waste. But going to check out a new car this afternoon with a 3 litre diesel engine but reckon the total life environmental cost is probably lower than the cost of a buying a Tesla with a multi thousand AA battery pack and a life time dependency on polluting power stations, never mind the atrocious cost compared to a normally fuelled car

Comment

I voted Brexit. Which will reduce economic activity a great deal.

Comment

We don't buy more food than we need. We hardly ever throw any food away.
        Ditto

We only have one car (petrol), and do less than 2000 miles per year. We only replace it about every 10 years.
        Two cars, one diesel. But shared between two households. Also replace every ten years or so.

We only travel by plane every few years.
        Several times a year.

We recycle. Not as religiously as some but we do a bit.
        We recycle extensively. Economically stupid not to, given that recylcable waste is disposed of for free and we have to pay for the rest - which results in...
        We only put out one medium refuse bag a week.

We don't consume much. Only buying what we need, and only replacing stuff when it's knackered or beyond repair.

Ditto

Our only real bad is oil fired central heating, but the house is well insulated.
        Our house is very well insulated, with underfloor heating - gas fired.

Economy is doing fine.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have five kids, I have already done more (future) damage to the planet so hugging a penguin won't balance out my selfishness
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I have five kids, I have already done more (future) damage to the planet so hugging a penguin won't balance out my selfishness
            Of course it will! Have you not read the pamphlet? And it'll only cost you £3 per month!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Turned the heating off in the servants’ quarter
              Feed leftovers to servants
              Buy Fairtrade Beluga Caviar
              Use LED lighting for the veranda
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

My car is 15 years old and I've had it for 11. Manage about 2k miles a year at most. I will (a) replace it when I can afford an Aston Martin or (b) get rid of it when it fails an MOT and is beyond economical repair. I keep thinking about selling it but never get around to it. Anyone want a 2-owner, low mileage, Nissan 350z?

I do throw away a lot of fresh food because I'm rubbish at cooking and have good ideas but poor execution. I can bake a cake well but that's not good for the size of my arse.

I recycle as far as my local council will accept.

I buy what I need when I need it and will repair rather than replace where possible. Have just mended a favourite jumper this morning!

I haven't had children so, once I'm dead, I won't give a toss what state the country/planet is in.

Comment

5.0 V8
                  4.2 V8
                  3.2 Flat Six
                  1.0 V-Twin
                  220cc 2-Stroke
                  300cc 2-Stroke
                  At least a dozen 200-500cc 4-Strokes

It gets warm in my Post-Code when they are fired up!

Quick exit...
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

joking aside all the lights in the house are now led's

not sure if it is saving money but they certainly do not need replacing as often as the halogen ones - seemed to pop every time you flicked the switch.

as for everything else - just try and keep it lean with no excess

apart from wine - lots of excess where wine is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                    X