• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news? Bad news? Or just news?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do you think it takes to bring the country back from the brink of bankruptcy?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      How long do you think it takes to bring the country back from the brink of bankruptcy?
      That’s a strong description. In what way was the U.K. on the “brink of bankruptcy”?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        That’s a strong description. In what way was the U.K. on the “brink of bankruptcy”?
        What did the note say again..oh yes.."There's no money left" Kinda hints at bankruptcy. I know I am about to make one certain individual bankrupt.

Comment

a) the UK wasn't on the brink of bankruptcy in 2010 if that is what you mean
          b) national debt is now much higher

Comment

Be good to see some statistics to prove that. IIRC despite an unprecedented global boom, Broon still managed to knacker the economy for Generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              What did the note say again..oh yes.."There's no money left" Kinda hints at bankruptcy. I know I am about to make one certain individual bankrupt.
              Ah yes, that great body of evidence, a “note”.

Good thing you’re not in charge of anything.

Comment

Be good to see some statistics to prove that. IIRC despite an unprecedented global boom, Broon still managed to knacker the economy for Generations.
                Statistics to prove what?

a. You’re the one that said “brink of bankruptcy”, it’s all yours to prove.

b. The national debt is clearly higher, there’s graphs in this very thread that show you that.

Comment

Ah yes, that great body of evidence, a “note”.

Good thing you’re not in charge of anything.
                  Ah but that is where you are wrong again. I am in charge of something. Occasionally I am in charge of many things all at the same time. Sometimes I delegate my authority( my charge) to a computer. Worked for Boeing!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

It becomes bankruptcy when you can no longer make payments, maintain cashflow, just like any business. What could cause this?

Increasing trade deficit.
                    Higher interest rates on foreign debt, of which there is a lot.
                    A massive devaluation of currency.

The last point is particularly worrying and increasingly likely. UK debt is only affordable at the minute because of floored interest rates. There's no room for central banks to manoeuvre during the next recession.
                    Generally speaking. Central banks have been loading up on Gold & Silver in the past few years in a large way. Even the BoE to the point of stealing from Venezuela. You think they won't do the same to the public?

The UK is about to become Greece Mk II on the EU's doorstep.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                      This should be entertaining.

What was the bankruptcy process that the UK was on the brink of?

Comment

Working...
                      X