• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news? Bad news? Or just news?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    This should be entertaining.

What was the bankruptcy process that the UK was on the brink of?
    You tell me your the one that brought up the word process, I only suggested that no money and massively in debt kinda HINTS at bankruptcy.

But then again reading was never your strong point was it. Get back to your safe space and hug another tree

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      You tell me your the one that brought up the word process, I only suggested that no money and massively in debt kinda HINTS at bankruptcy.

But then again reading was never your strong point was it. Get back to your safe space and hug another tree

So, are the HINTS now a lot stronger since the country is further in debt and doesn't have any money, or is that not the case?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        It becomes bankruptcy when you can no longer make payments, maintain cashflow, just like any business.
        It’s very different to any business. Primarily the ability of governments to raise income through taxes, and to print money if they need to.

Was the UK ever on the verge of no longer being able to make payments, or to maintain cash flow?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          So, are the HINTS now a lot stronger since the country is further in debt and doesn't have any money, or is that not the case?
          I assume you are more than happy to claim that the garden will be full of Roses and the national debt rising at a much slower rate under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            a) the UK wasn't on the brink of bankruptcy in 2010 if that is what you mean
            b) national debt is now much higher
            Well of course national debt is much higher now - nowhere does it say we have stopped borrowing and are now paying off the debt.

All this article is about is that each year we now increase the debt less.

Was there something confusing which meant you thought someone had said the debt had been reduced?

Comment

I assume you are more than happy to claim that the garden will be full of Roses and the national debt rising at a much slower rate under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
              I don’t think anyone’s saying that at all.

However, isn’t it reasonable to say that if Labour presided over a debt increase of 0.5 trillion and posters are holding them responsible for that, then if the Tories presided over a debt increase of twice that then we should also hold the Tories responsible for that?

Wouldn’t that be consistent?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                I don’t think anyone’s saying that at all.

However, isn’t it reasonable to say that if Labour presided over a debt increase of 0.5 trillion and posters are holding them responsible for that, then if the Tories presided over a debt increase of twice that then we should also hold the Tories responsible for that?

Wouldn’t that be consistent?
                So you are saying that neither Labour nor the Conservatives, and possibly the Liberals as they are partly responsible when in coalition with the Conservatives are fit to govern the country. How exactly would you have govern the country out of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Lol, always somebody else’s fault...

Nearly 10 years of Tory and Tory-led government and it’s still Labour....
                  And your point is?

If you break the fundamental basis of your economy, and kick off a regime that establishes committed 20-year debts and guarantees your interest payments will outstrip your earnings, it's going to take a long time to get back to where you were before the wrecking crew did their thing.

A drop in net borrowing is a good measure of progress in the right direction, unlike headline PR like unemployment rates
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Well of course national debt is much higher now - nowhere does it say we have stopped borrowing and are now paying off the debt.

All this article is about is that each year we now increase the debt less.

Was there something confusing which meant you thought someone had said the debt had been reduced?
                    I was replying to a statement about bankruptcy.

HTH

Comment

Bankruptcy process is an essential part of bankruptcy. I brought it up because you are an idiot and needed some basic explanation.

The context of the note you reference hinted at constraints in public spending, not bankruptcy. If you understood bankruptcy process, within the context of a sovereign nation with its own currency, you would understand this.

Comment

Working...
                      X