• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£200k to invest - what would you do ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£200k to invest - what would you do ?

"A friend" has £200,000 (net) coming their way, and wants to invest it in a lower-risk way that would provide some level of income (i.e. ideally above a standard 1.5% savings account). What would you do ?

BTL seems the initial choice - maybe a house or a couple of flats, possibly with a small mortgage depending on area and get <10% return. I'm not up to speed on the BTL space, but whilst there seems to be a few more hurdles these days in terms of return, it still seems a reasonable choice.
    One concern is that as an owner of an existing (mortgaged) property, the majority of their 'portfolio' would be in housing.

Anything else - shares (hands-off tracker-type thing), wine, gold ???

It probably won't be invested in bitcoin

There's a major recession on the horizon. Your friend's only concern should be about protecting the wealth. A diversified portfolio matters.

For low risk, stick with commodities. They'll always be needed even during a recession.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Should have posted in "Ask Darren" thread...

Comment

I think 'Asking a mate to post on in the General section of a random anonymous Internet forum about what to do with 200k' is possibly the worst start to an investing strategy I've ever seen.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 April 2019, 15:05.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I think 'Asking a mate to post on in the General section of a random anonymous Internet forum about what to do with 200k' is possibly the worst start to an investing strategy I've ever seen.
          We don't see the PMs to scoots.

Comment

Screw investing.

Go straight to Lambo

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              There's a major recession on the horizon. Your friend's only concern should be about protecting the wealth. A diversified portfolio matters.

For low risk, stick with commodities. They'll always be needed even during a recession.
              This.

Not a bad place to start:
              Harry Browne’s Permanent Portfolio- 2018 update | Financial Page

Comment

Get proper paid for advice your mate can afford it.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Why ? It's not financial advice, they're just after ideas to research

Got one decent option here so far ...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    Get proper paid for advice your mate can afford it.
                    From who ? An IFA on commission ? A respectable financial advice website ? Suggestions ...

Comment

Working...
                    X