Fewer Britons choosing EU countries for holidays, travel firm says Fewer Britons choosing EU countries for holidays, travel firm says
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 41

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Default Fewer Britons choosing EU countries for holidays, travel firm says

Of course because of the 'B' word. No surprises there. Just shocked and stunned where people are travelling too instead:

Egypt
    Turkey
    Tunisia

People have very short memories. Very shot.

Fewer British holidaymakers have booked a summer holiday inside the European Union this year amid continuing Brexit uncertainty, Thomas Cook has said.

The travel firm says almost half (48%) of the holidays it sold up until the end of February were to non-EU destinations, up 10% on last year.

Despite this, the firm says Spain is still its most popular destination.

Its findings chime with separate Post Office figures showing currency sales for long-haul destinations have jumped.

Sales of the Japanese yen were up 12% so far this year compared with last, while sales of the Indonesian rupiah have increased by 9%, Post Office Travel Money said.

The figures are based on Post Office transactions between 1 January and 23 April. The Post Office accounts for about a quarter of all UK currency transactions.

It said the biggest growth in currency sales so far this year has been for the Egyptian pound, which has seen a 687% year-on-year increase.

Thomas Cook - through which 19 million people book holidays each year - said after Spain, Turkey had proved the most popular destination for its holidaymakers, accounting for a quarter of its flight-only bookings so far.
    Thomas Cook said Tunisia was also "faring well" with package bookings to the country double that of last year, with flight-only bookings up four-fold.

Tourism to the country fell dramatically after a 2015 terrorism attack in the resort of Sousse in which 30 British tourists and eight others were killed by a gunman with links to Islamic State.
    Fewer Britons choosing EU countries for holidays, travel firm says - BBC News
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

"If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

northernladuk is always on top

IMO one of the major factors people aren't going to Europe is they can afford the long haul flights, particularly the millennials. One mate in particular stands out as he chases the new 'cool' destinations as they become available. He did Egypt a few times awhile ago because it became the new hotspot. Last few years he's been going to Dubai and he's done Florida and the Caribbean. No real reason other than it's cool to do so. It's like keeping up with the Jones's. They have to be seen to be going to somewhere flasher than any of the other families on their new build estate.

I think peoples increase in disposable income is big reason they don't pick Europe. Very little to do with any political reasons.

I also don't think picking one isolated, yet very scary incident really defines a holiday destination either. The numbers of people going through without incident in comparison is very low. If that was your argument you are in more danger on the flight there. I've been on holiday in Egypt and worked in Dubai, Algeria, Cairo and as long as you learn and respect the customs I've felt safer there than wandering around European holiday hell holes late at night.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29th April 2019 at 12:13.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Fingers like lightning

TheGreenBastard 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think peoples increase in disposable income is big reason they don't pick Europe. Very little to do with any political reasons.
    Exactly, why go to Italy to get ripped off, when you can taste truly different cultures further afield for a similar price point. No-brainer. Too many self loathing Brits in Europe these days too.

AtW is a fount of knowledge

It's hot season in Syria I hear

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Exactly, why go to Italy to get ripped off, when you can taste truly different cultures further afield for a similar price point..

Vote for B, a vote against multiculturalism. Then go on holiday to the far east for multiculturalism.

“We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Super poster

Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Vote for B, a vote against multiculturalism. Then go on holiday to the far east for multiculturalism.

It's nice to visit, not too nice to have it next door!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

Super poster

Eirikur - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    It's nice to visit, not too nice to have it next door!
    no-one would like to have you next door

Super poster

woohoo is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post

I can't work out if you are just the stupidest poster I know, or you are the cleverest troll.

Super poster

Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    I can't work out if you are just the stupidest poster I know, or you are the cleverest troll.
    Go on, what does your gut tell you?
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.