• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fewer Britons choosing EU countries for holidays, travel firm says

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fewer Britons choosing EU countries for holidays, travel firm says

Of course because of the 'B' word. No surprises there. Just shocked and stunned where people are travelling too instead:

Egypt
    Turkey
    Tunisia

People have very short memories. Very shot.

Fewer British holidaymakers have booked a summer holiday inside the European Union this year amid continuing Brexit uncertainty, Thomas Cook has said.

The travel firm says almost half (48%) of the holidays it sold up until the end of February were to non-EU destinations, up 10% on last year.

Despite this, the firm says Spain is still its most popular destination.

Its findings chime with separate Post Office figures showing currency sales for long-haul destinations have jumped.

Sales of the Japanese yen were up 12% so far this year compared with last, while sales of the Indonesian rupiah have increased by 9%, Post Office Travel Money said.

The figures are based on Post Office transactions between 1 January and 23 April. The Post Office accounts for about a quarter of all UK currency transactions.

It said the biggest growth in currency sales so far this year has been for the Egyptian pound, which has seen a 687% year-on-year increase.

Thomas Cook - through which 19 million people book holidays each year - said after Spain, Turkey had proved the most popular destination for its holidaymakers, accounting for a quarter of its flight-only bookings so far.
    Thomas Cook said Tunisia was also "faring well" with package bookings to the country double that of last year, with flight-only bookings up four-fold.

Tourism to the country fell dramatically after a 2015 terrorism attack in the resort of Sousse in which 30 British tourists and eight others were killed by a gunman with links to Islamic State.
    Fewer Britons choosing EU countries for holidays, travel firm says - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

so have you

Terrorism in Europe - Wikipedia

Riots, Brexit and Budgets: Europe'''s got a lot to deal with right now
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

IMO one of the major factors people aren't going to Europe is they can afford the long haul flights, particularly the millennials. One mate in particular stands out as he chases the new 'cool' destinations as they become available. He did Egypt a few times awhile ago because it became the new hotspot. Last few years he's been going to Dubai and he's done Florida and the Caribbean. No real reason other than it's cool to do so. It's like keeping up with the Jones's. They have to be seen to be going to somewhere flasher than any of the other families on their new build estate.

I think peoples increase in disposable income is big reason they don't pick Europe. Very little to do with any political reasons.

I also don't think picking one isolated, yet very scary incident really defines a holiday destination either. The numbers of people going through without incident in comparison is very low. If that was your argument you are in more danger on the flight there. I've been on holiday in Egypt and worked in Dubai, Algeria, Cairo and as long as you learn and respect the customs I've felt safer there than wandering around European holiday hell holes late at night.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 29 April 2019, 12:13.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I think peoples increase in disposable income is big reason they don't pick Europe. Very little to do with any political reasons.
        Exactly, why go to Italy to get ripped off, when you can taste truly different cultures further afield for a similar price point. No-brainer. Too many self loathing Brits in Europe these days too.

Comment

It's hot season in Syria I hear

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
            Exactly, why go to Italy to get ripped off, when you can taste truly different cultures further afield for a similar price point..

Vote for B, a vote against multiculturalism. Then go on holiday to the far east for multiculturalism.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Vote for B, a vote against multiculturalism. Then go on holiday to the far east for multiculturalism.

It's nice to visit, not too nice to have it next door!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                It's nice to visit, not too nice to have it next door!
                no-one would like to have you next door

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

I can't work out if you are just the stupidest poster I know, or you are the cleverest troll.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I can't work out if you are just the stupidest poster I know, or you are the cleverest troll.
                    Go on, what does your gut tell you?
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X