• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ancestry DNA service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Signed up for the 14 day trial on Ancestry for a quick look before making a decision about the DNA thing and I have to say I'm blown away with it. The ease at which you can go back generation's is just ridiculous.

Within about two hours I'd got back 4 or 5 generations and two members linked in to trees that other people had done. One tree with 1800 members, the other with nearly 900. A few clicks and I was back to the 1700s on my mums side. All the documents are OCRd so spellings are a bit odd at times but you can view every document. Proper impressive.

It wasn't something I'd ever thought I'd be interested in and probably drop it as fast as I picked it up at some point but it's certainly going to entertain me and the family for quite awhile now. It's so easy it's great fun.

So far found out we've two majors and a Colonel in the family. The colonel went to gaol for a year for a typically 1800s worded offence like Furious unshackling of something belonging to a coal company. The register is hard to read but I look in to it further.
    We've got various past relatives with 8, 10 and even 12 kids in one case.
    Best of all my mums mum was married had a son at 19 and divorced a year later. My mum knew nothing about this and now has a half brother she knew nothing about so she's interested now.

If you've got a bit of time I'd seriously recommend you have a look at it, particularly if you have older parents or grandparents still around. It's like a Friends Reunited for old people. I've spent hours with my parents while they recount the tales and memories of their past. Things like the old census is filled in house order so my dad could see his neighbours from 1930s at 6 years old and he could see all the kids were on it he used to play with. He's in his late 80s and not very well but it was delightful to see perk up and chatter for hours over what he'd found. My mums also gonna look in to the brother.

We will be spending many more hours all pondering over this and listening to more memories out. Terrific stuff.

Just put a date in your diary to cancel the trial though as they will charge you 69 quid for half year membership otherwise.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I found some relatives in the UK, long way down the family tree.

Triops cancriformis - Wikipedia

Comment

Ancestry.com is good if you want to research your family history. But don't take other people's as gospel - they make all sorts of false assumptions.

DNA testing is a bit of fun - no more really.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Ancestry.com is good if you want to research your family history. But don't take other people's as gospel - they make all sorts of false assumptions.

And if you do get into it, please don't call it geneology, or I'll have to defriend you.
          Last edited by mudskipper; 2 May 2019, 19:36.

Comment

And if you do get into it, please don't call it geneolgogy, or I'll have to defriend you.
            I definitely fall short of calling it geneolgogy.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              I definitely fall short of calling it geneolgogy.

Doh

Comment

Oh aye. No worries there. The links in other people's trees are for reference. I'll be confirming anything with the official docs as I add them to my tree.

No worries about me calling it whatever you said. I can't even spell it.

But it appears it's not just me
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  So. Signed up for the 14 day trial on Ancestry for a quick look before making a decision about the DNA thing and I have to say I'm blown away with it. The ease at which you can go back generation's is just ridiculous.

Within about two hours I'd got back 4 or 5 generations and two members linked in to trees that other people had done. One tree with 1800 members, the other with nearly 900. A few clicks and I was back to the 1700s on my mums side. All the documents are OCRd so spellings are a bit odd at times but you can view every document. Proper impressive.

It wasn't something I'd ever thought I'd be interested in and probably drop it as fast as I picked it up at some point but it's certainly going to entertain me and the family for quite awhile now. It's so easy it's great fun.

So far found out we've two majors and a Colonel in the family. The colonel went to gaol for a year for a typically 1800s worded offence like Furious unshackling of something belonging to a coal company. The register is hard to read but I look in to it further.
                  We've got various past relatives with 8, 10 and even 12 kids in one case.
                  Best of all my mums mum was married had a son at 19 and divorced a year later. My mum knew nothing about this and now has a half brother she knew nothing about so she's interested now.

If you've got a bit of time I'd seriously recommend you have a look at it, particularly if you have older parents or grandparents still around. It's like a Friends Reunited for old people. I've spent hours with my parents while they recount the tales and memories of their past. Things like the old census is filled in house order so my dad could see his neighbours from 1930s at 6 years old and he could see all the kids were on it he used to play with. He's in his late 80s and not very well but it was delightful to see perk up and chatter for hours over what he'd found. My mums also gonna look in to the brother.

We will be spending many more hours all pondering over this and listening to more memories out. Terrific stuff.

Just put a date in your diary to cancel the trial though as they will charge you 69 quid for half year membership otherwise.
                  Tracing your ancestry helps if you have an unusual surname or you find one earlier in your family tree. I mainly have common Welsh surnames in my family and when I entered a search for my grandfather's brother, over 1000 hits appeared in my local area. My mother's maiden name helped me trace my relatives to 1805, but no further. However, my wife's family name is Simm and if there are any on here related to this gentleman, we'd be pleased to hear from you -

Wigan on the Internet :: wiganworld is Wigan's busiest community website

Comment

Working...
                  X