• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ancestry DNA service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancestry DNA service

After the distress and upset of finding out, via a rather blunt and straight to the point post, that they are not my parents and they are not my kids...

I've been wondering what this DNA service is like from Ancestry.com. Anyone tried it? I see they've changed the algorithms as more people take it which has quite drastically altered the results so wondering if it's really worth it. Is it a bit of fun or does it actually come back with a load of useful information?

Anyone actually managed to get a decent family tree off there or can you generally just go as far back as your living relatives can recall and that's about it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    After the distress and upset of finding out, via a rather blunt and straight to the point post, that they are not my parents and they are not my kids...

I've been wondering what this DNA service is like from Ancestry.com. Anyone tried it? I see they've changed the algorithms as more people take it which has quite drastically altered the results so wondering if it's really worth it. Is it a bit of fun or does it actually come back with a load of useful information?

Anyone actually managed to get a decent family tree off there or can you generally just go as far back as your living relatives can recall and that's about it?
    You are descended from a long line of Wigan toilet traders.

That will be £500.

Comment

not tried any of the services

but was listening to a podcast recently about how most of these companies are using the (selling) the data

they may not like be able to derive much harm now but imagine in 30 years time when the top 5 companies / governments in the world have access to the DNA of 50% of the worlds population

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
        not tried any of the services

but was listening to a podcast recently about how most of these companies are using the (selling) the data

they may not like be able to derive much harm now but imagine in 30 years time when the top 5 companies / governments in the world have access to the DNA of 50% of the worlds population
        Yep, 23andme sell it to GSK, not sure if Ancestry are selling it yet but on both sites you can opt out of this. I must admit I'm not really that fussed about it.

30 years to have DNA of 50% of the worlds population? I'm thinking more like 10. Top 5 companies having access to it? What does Sinopec Oil and Gas want with my DNA? Tin foil hat suits you.

Comment

Yep, 23andme sell it to GSK, not sure if Ancestry are selling it yet but on both sites you can opt out of this. I must admit I'm not really that fussed about it.

30 years to have DNA of 50% of the worlds population? I'm thinking more like 10. Top 5 companies having access to it? What does Sinopec Oil and Gas want with my DNA? Tin foil hat suits you.
          at least they won't be able to read my mind

Comment

Ancestry DNA service

I’ve done 23andMe, it comes back with a genetics report (eg your disposition to baldness, or musical ear, or cancer, etc). Take it with a grain of salt, there’s nothing in there that shouldn’t be obvious to either yourself or your physician.

23andMe also do a “genetic relative” thing, but I’ve never found anyone even remotely close through that.

I also have an Ancestry membership. Once you get back past your living relatives to, say, 1900 or earlier it becomes a bit easier due to available Census information, etc. There’s a lot you can do for free, I’ve got the paid one due to having a lot of relatives overseas.

Some branches of the tree can go back to the 1500’s if they were landed and have a lineage, most peter out in the late 1700’s. Scottish ones can be trickier, and Irish ones are almost impossible without going back to the church records.
            Last edited by meridian; 30 April 2019, 11:04.

Comment

Didn't you notice

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I have actually done the Ancestry DNA test, although it was after I had assembled quite a large family tree (on the maternal side), the paternal side is proving to be more difficult as my Great Grandfather was German (born Stuttgart) and came to this country around 1890(ish).

The results just confirmed what I already knew. My maternal side is largely from Lincolnshire and my Paternal Side is Germanic with a bit of East Yorkshire thrown in.

About the only thing it did highlight that I didn't know was a few distant relatives in Oz and New Zealand.

Treat it for what it is...a bit of fun and some spit in a small test tube, and look for the cheap deals on groupon etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Didn't you notice
                  To be fair I didn't notice. I was just relieved when they started crying and not barking...

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                    I have actually done the Ancestry DNA test, although it was after I had assembled quite a large family tree (on the maternal side), the paternal side is proving to be more difficult as my Great Grandfather was German (born Stuttgart) and came to this country around 1890(ish).

The results just confirmed what I already knew. My maternal side is largely from Lincolnshire and my Paternal Side is Germanic with a bit of East Yorkshire thrown in.

About the only thing it did highlight that I didn't know was a few distant relatives in Oz and New Zealand.
                    You got any West Yorkshire in you?

Treat it for what it is...a bit of fun and some spit in a small test tube, and look for the cheap deals on groupon etc
                    Groupon appear to have a sale on of Ancestry products which oddly look like the same prices as the main site. Says 'Sale' and 'Discount verified' but the price is the same as Ancestry. Says 31 people have been conned in to buying it. Hate groupon.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 30 April 2019, 13:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X