Social mobility and class Social mobility and class
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1

    Super poster

    meridian - scorchio!

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,227

    Default Social mobility and class

    Report out this week on social mobility:

    State of the Nation report: Inequality in UK 'entrenched' - BBC News

    It mentions “working class” and “under privileged” almost interchangeably. Under privileged I can get, but as a non-Brit I don’t quite get what makes someone working class.

    Is it the job? In which case, is the Pimlico Plumber multi millionaire still working class?

    Is it qualifications? Is the Humanities graduate doing barista work no longer working class?

    Is it self-identification? What are the identifying characteristics?

  2. #2

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,428

    Default

    Working class refers to a social group of folks who are employed for labour in exchange for wages.

    The working class is the product of most if not all schools in the UK. No one is taught about money. And it's a good job too, otherwise we'd be a nation of go getters rather than full time moaners.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Working class refers to a social group of folks who are employed for labour in exchange for wages.
    Oh, that's a good start to a post by you. Interested to see what else you say...
    The working class is the product of most if not all schools in the UK. No one is taught about money. And it's a good job too, otherwise we'd be a nation of go getters rather than full time moaners.
    Ohh.. usual utter bulltulip so back to business as usual...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    Super poster

    meridian - scorchio!

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Working class refers to a social group of folks who are employed for labour in exchange for wages.
    Labour and wages?

    So our truckies (providing driving services, not labour) are not working class?

    And if I get in a plumber that’s employed by the company for wages then he’s working class, but if he’s self employed and issues an invoice then he’s not?

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Yorkie62 is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,813

    Default

    I'm surprised no one has yet provided a you tube link to the sketch featuring Pete, Dud, Cleese, et al to explain the class system

  6. #6

    Super poster

    Zigenare - scorchio!

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    I'm surprised no one has yet provided a you tube link to the sketch featuring Pete, Dud, Cleese, et al to explain the class system
    Because half of the audience on this site wouldn't understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,428

    Default

    Some of the responses are a bit thick. Al dente you might say. If you got the al dente reference, well done, you're middle class too.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    Because half of the audience on this site wouldn't understand it.
    And the other half don't know how to put URL's in posts
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Zigenare - scorchio!

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    And the other half don't know how to put URL's in posts
    All you need do is ask how and we'll show you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Yorkie62 is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,813

    Default

    For you delectation and delight

    YouTube

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •