• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social mobility and class

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social mobility and class

Report out this week on social mobility:

State of the Nation report: Inequality in UK 'entrenched' - BBC News

It mentions “working class” and “under privileged” almost interchangeably. Under privileged I can get, but as a non-Brit I don’t quite get what makes someone working class.

Is it the job? In which case, is the Pimlico Plumber multi millionaire still working class?

Is it qualifications? Is the Humanities graduate doing barista work no longer working class?

Is it self-identification? What are the identifying characteristics?

Working class refers to a social group of folks who are employed for labour in exchange for wages.

The working class is the product of most if not all schools in the UK. No one is taught about money. And it's a good job too, otherwise we'd be a nation of go getters rather than full time moaners.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Working class refers to a social group of folks who are employed for labour in exchange for wages.
      Oh, that's a good start to a post by you. Interested to see what else you say...
      The working class is the product of most if not all schools in the UK. No one is taught about money. And it's a good job too, otherwise we'd be a nation of go getters rather than full time moaners.
      Ohh.. usual utter bulltulip so back to business as usual...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Labour and wages?

So our truckies (providing driving services, not labour) are not working class?

And if I get in a plumber that’s employed by the company for wages then he’s working class, but if he’s self employed and issues an invoice then he’s not?

Comment

I'm surprised no one has yet provided a you tube link to the sketch featuring Pete, Dud, Cleese, et al to explain the class system

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            I'm surprised no one has yet provided a you tube link to the sketch featuring Pete, Dud, Cleese, et al to explain the class system
            Because half of the audience on this site wouldn't understand it.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Some of the responses are a bit thick. Al dente you might say. If you got the al dente reference, well done, you're middle class too.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Because half of the audience on this site wouldn't understand it.
                And the other half don't know how to put URL's in posts
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  And the other half don't know how to put URL's in posts
                  All you need do is ask how and we'll show you.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

For you delectation and delight

YouTube

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                    X