• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pepsi Max addiction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Cola contains loads of phosphoric acid. Sodiumbicarbonate would bring the pH a bit up, sodium hydroxide pallets would be better,you need less of it but you have to be more careful to handle it.

pH meters are generally available, You need to regularly calibrate pH meters though. litmus paper would be much easier and cheaper to use
    Yes I've been having a play with some litmus paper (universal indicator paper) from my schooldays chemistry set, and it gives a reading of ph=6 for the Pepsi Max, which I think is a little high - it says online that the Ph of diet coke is 3.
    First I have tried putting a rennie tablet (containing Calcium Carbonate) into it (Ph of around 8 or so), but it does not seem to be dissolving, and must therefore only be effective against stronger acids. Calcium Phosphate is also fairly insoluble so would precipitate out.
    I don't think there would be much difference between Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium bicarbonate because in the latter case carbon dioxide gas would be produced, which would escape, leaving Sodium Phosphate which is slightly alkali. In the case of Sodium Hydroxide only water would be produced by the same reaction.
    I do have some Sodium Hydroxide somewhere in the garage, left over from a time in 1985 when I tried to do electrolysis on it molten (it has a fairly low melting point as compared to salt), in a bid to create metallic sodium. I blew the fuse in the DC power source unfortunately. But I digress..

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Stop using it NOW - it's terrible tulip, especially the "Diet" one
      What is in it that makes it terrible? I am not disagreeing, as I have heard others say the same, but have not been able to find any details.

Comment

Working...
      X