• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pepsi Max addiction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepsi Max addiction

And its effect on one's teeth.

I've just come back from the dentist, and I need to have four fillings and a molar tooth out

She says I need to ditch the Pepsi Max, of which I down around 5 cans a day, because although they are sugar free, the acid in them is eroding my teeth and causing decay.

The problem is I have tried to cut down in the past, but I feel I am addicted to them. So I need a plan, and I have the following thoughts, which I thought I'd share with you lot in case you had any sarcastic comments

1. Addiction is probably caused by the caffeine, of which there is 42.6mg in each can. I plan to purchase some Pro Plus caffeine tablets initially (each one contains 50mg) to take instead of the drink, so that I can stop drinking the coke immediately without getting caffeine withdrawal.

2. Other psychological "highs" from it include the sweetener, cold, and carbonation - I could try replicating this with cold mineral water, a soda stream, and some sweetener.

3. The PH of diet coke is around 3. Could I add Sodium bicarbonate to neutralise this back to 7, and would this stop it rotting my teeth, and could I do this without making it taste disgusting? Can I buy a ph meter to determine this?

4. Apparently the artificial sweetener Xylitol is alkali. Could I add this to pepsi max to neutralise its acids (mainly phosphoric acid) without destroying its taste.

5. You can get dental fissure sealants to cover the cracks in the teeth to prevent them from eroding. But can you also get a kind of dental paint that can be painted on top of the rest of the surface of the teeth to protect them? Or can you fire microscopic fragments of zinc into the surface to protect them in the same way that galvanization protects steel from erosion?
    At school someone put tippex onto their teeth to make them look good, but apparently this was not a good idea...

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

I've just come back from the dentist, and I need to have four fillings and a molar tooth out

She says I need to ditch the Pepsi Max, of which I down around 5 cans a day, because although they are sugar free, the acid in them is eroding my teeth and causing decay.

The problem is I have tried to cut down in the past, but I feel I am addicted to them. So I need a plan, and I have the following thoughts, which I thought I'd share with you lot in case you had any sarcastic comments

1. Addiction is probably caused by the caffeine, of which there is 42.6mg in each can. I plan to purchase some Pro Plus caffeine tablets initially (each one contains 50mg) to take instead of the drink, so that I can stop drinking the coke immediately without getting caffeine withdrawal.

2. Other psychological "highs" from it include the sweetener, cold, and carbonation - I could try replicating this with cold mineral water, a soda stream, and some sweetener.

3. The PH of diet coke is around 3. Could I add Sodium bicarbonate to neutralise this back to 7, and would this stop it rotting my teeth, and could I do this without making it taste disgusting? Can I buy a ph meter to determine this?

4. Apparently the artificial sweetener Xylitol is alkali. Could I add this to pepsi max to neutralise its acids (mainly phosphoric acid) without destroying its taste.

5. You can get dental fissure sealants to cover the cracks in the teeth to prevent them from eroding. But can you also get a kind of dental paint that can be painted on top of the rest of the surface of the teeth to protect them? Or can you fire microscopic fragments of zinc into the surface to protect them in the same way that galvanization protects steel from erosion?
    At school someone put tippex onto their teeth to make them look good, but apparently this was not a good idea...
    This has got to be a piss take.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

6. Grow up

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        This has got to be a pepsi take.
        FTFY

Comment

I like 5. as it sounds like the most dangerous and therefore most likely not to end well. PS how did the individual at school get on, did they ever develop a taste for correcting people.

You missed of 6.

6. Sue Pepsi for not warning you about the addictive properties of their product and the positive effects it has on your dentists bank balance.

Comment

Lovely...
            Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 1 May 2019, 13:42.

Comment

of which I down around 5 cans a day, because although they are sugar free, the acid in them is eroding my teeth and causing decay.
              I've a feeling your teeth aren't the only things you'll be having problems with in time...

I plan to purchase some Pro Plus caffeine tablets initially (each one contains 50mg) to take instead of the drink
              Great plan. That'll keep you healthy
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just snort this stuff instead....

Caffeine in Black Label Brewed Coffee
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I've a feeling your teeth aren't the only things you'll be having problems with in time...
                  You mean the aspartame in it, which some people think is bad for you?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Just snort this stuff instead....

Caffeine in Black Label Brewed Coffee
                    "Caffeine level: Dangerous". I like it

Comment

Working...
                    X